Some Help With Calculus Please?

• Thread starter cepheid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation involved using Gauss' law in a math assignment to find the charge enclosed by a closed surface using a surface integral of a vector field. The approach involved finding expressions for each face of a cube and calculating the surface integral over each one, adding them together. However, there were two problems: 1) the integral represents the charge enclosed by a closed surface, so what does it mean for a surface that isn't closed, like the face of a cube? 2) One person got an answer of Q=0, while another got Q=24. The conversation also touched on using Stokes' theorem to evaluate a problem involving a curve and a surface, and the Divergence Theorem to evaluate the flux of
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
#1 We were given the following information involving Gauss' law in a math assignment, just as an application of the surface integral of a vector field:

[tex] Q = \epsilon_{0} \iint_{S} \vec{E} \cdot d \vec{S} [/tex]

[tex] \vec{E}(x,y,z) = x \hat{i} + y \hat{j} + z \hat{k} [/tex]

[itex] S [/itex] is the cube with vertices
[itex](\pm 1, \pm 1, \pm 1)[/itex]

I approached this problem by finding an expression for each of the faces (e.g. z = 1, within the appropriate bounds), calculating the surface integral over each one, and adding them together. I have two problems with this:

1. The textbook says that the integral given represents the charge [itex] Q [/itex] enclosed by a closed surface. So what does it mean to calculate this integral for a surface that isn't closed, like the face of a cube?

2. I got an answer of [itex] Q = 0 [/itex]. Is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by cepheid

I approached this problem by finding an expression for each of the faces (e.g. z = 1, within the appropriate bounds), calculating the surface integral over each one, and adding them together. I have two problems with this:

1. The textbook says that the integral given represents the charge [itex] Q [/itex] enclosed by a closed surface. So what does it mean to calculate this integral for a surface that isn't closed, like the face of a cube?
that quantity is called flux.

2. I got an answer of [itex] Q = 0 [/itex]. Is this correct?__________________________________________

i don t believe so. i got Q=24

It looks like you got the answer four for each of the six integrals. But when I computed them, since the normal vectors for opposite faces had opposite signs, half of my integrals evaluated to negative four. This must be a conceptual error...where did I go wrong?

for the faces that are parallel to the x-y plane, [itex]\mathbf{E}\cdot d\mathbf{A}=zdxdy[/itex]. so there is a minus sign for the bottom face from the normal vector, and another minus sign from the fact that z=-1 on the bottom, they cancel out and the flux is positive.

this way, all faces give a positive contribution.

Last edited:
Thank you!

# 2 We were to make use of Stokes' theorem to solve the following problem:

Evaluate:

[tex] \int_{C} (y + \sin x)dx + (z^{2} + \cos y)dy + x^{3}dz [/tex]

where [itex] C [/itex] is the curve:

[tex]\vec{r}(t) = <\sin t, \cos t, \sin 2t> [/tex]
[tex] 0 \leq t \leq 2\pi [/tex]

Hint : observe that [itex] C [/itex] lies on [itex] z = 2xy [/itex].

I made an honest attempt, but what I ended up with is far too cumbersome to repeat here. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
lets see... by stokes theorem, this integral is equal to the integral over some region whose boundary is C of the following monkey:

[tex]-dx\wedge dy-2zdy\wedge dz+3x^2dx\wedge dz[/tex]

if that doesn t look familiar to you, its just a way of writing the curl of the thing you gave me. so now all we have to do is choose a convenient area to integrate over. how about the area of the surface [itex]z=2xy[/itex] over the region [itex]x^2+y^2\leq 1[/itex]?

Hmm...I'm not sure I follow what the significance of the z = 2xy is (I can't even figure out what that surface is), or how you came up with that region.

#3 (the last one). This one completely stumped me as well.

Use the Divergence Theorem to evaluate:

[tex] \iint_{S} \vec{F} \cdot d \vec{S} [/tex]

That is, calculate the flux of [itex] \vec{F} [/itex] across [itex] S [/itex] .

[tex] \vec{F}(x,y,z) = x^{2}y \hat{i} + xy^{2} \hat{j} + 2xyz \hat{k} [/tex]

[itex] S [/itex] is the surface of the tetrahedron bounded by the planes [itex] x = 0, y = 0, z = 0, \textrm{and} x + 2y + z = 2 [/itex].

Obviously, I need to evaluate:

[tex] \iiint_{E} (\nabla \cdot \vec{F}) dV [/tex]

But I'm not sure what to do with that darn tetrahedron.

it sounds to me like you need to some refreshers on multiple integrations. i would say a bunch of stuff here, but it is time for me to go to sleep, i think.

maybe tomorrow.

sorry

No problem! I am doing multiple integration for the first time (the course is multivariable and vector calculus squeezed into one), so I did double and triple integrals scarcely a month ago, and haven't had time to become proficient. I appreciate the help that I did get. A demain...

Originally posted by cepheid

But I'm not sure what to do with that darn tetrahedron.

so for the divergence, i got [itex]\nabla\cdot\mathbf{F}=6xy[/itex]

to take care of the tetrahedron, you should choose the order you want to do your integrations. how about x, then y, then z... for a generic z, and y, x ranges from 0 to 2-2y-z, according to the equation you gave me. then once i have integrated over x, for some generic y, that y can range from 0 to 1-z/2, and once you have tallied all the area over x and y for a generic z, let z run from 0 to 2. if its not clear where i got those numbers from, well, they are the vertices of your tetrahedron.

for problems like this, a picture is immensly helpful

doing all those integrations is a pain in the ass, but my final answer is 2/5... it should start out looking something like this:

[tex]
\int^2_0\left(\int^{1-z/2}_0\left(\int^{2-2y-z}_06xy\ dx\right)dy\right)dz
[/tex]

1. What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It involves the concepts of differentiation, integration, and limits to analyze and solve problems related to rates of change and accumulation.

2. Why is calculus important?

Calculus is essential in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It provides a language and tools for understanding and modeling complex systems and phenomena. It also enables us to make accurate predictions and optimize processes.

3. What are the key concepts in calculus?

The key concepts in calculus include derivatives, which measure the instantaneous rate of change of a function, and integrals, which measure the accumulation of quantities over a given interval. Limits, continuity, and the fundamental theorem of calculus are also important concepts in calculus.

4. How can I improve my understanding of calculus?

To improve your understanding of calculus, it is important to practice solving problems and applying the concepts to real-world situations. Other helpful strategies include seeking help from a tutor or teacher, using online resources and interactive tools, and breaking down complex problems into smaller, manageable parts.

5. What are some common challenges in learning calculus?

Some common challenges in learning calculus include the abstract nature of the concepts, the heavy use of mathematical notation, and the need to think in multiple dimensions. It also requires a solid understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and other prerequisite math skills. With practice and persistence, these challenges can be overcome.