Photon structure - light decyphering

In summary, the conversation discusses the structure and behavior of photons. It is mentioned that photons are considered fundamental and can exhibit both particle and wave behavior. The topic of interstellar light deciphering is also brought up, with the suggestion that a message could potentially be hidden within the photon's behavior when directed through crystals or different elements. It is noted that photon counters exist, but they require separate production of photons as photons are indistinguishable in a beam of light. Therefore, it may not be possible to individually count photons in an incoming beam of interstellar light unless they were originally produced individually.
Victor
[SOLVED] Photon structure - light decyphering

I am interested in, and would apreciate very much, if someone could further me updated information or any information at all on BASIC STRUCTURE OF PHOTON and/or BEHAVIOUR OF PHOTON. Obtained information is intended towards interstellar light decyphering.

Million thanks,
Victor J. Kairé S.
vjkaires@hotmail.com

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Photons are considered fundamental, i.e. they have no structure. In carrying out experiments, they can exhibit particle (e.g. photoelectric effect) or wave (e.g. diffraction) behavior.

What are you looking for (interstellar light deciphering?)?

I don't really understand how light can both be made up of photons and be a wave.

The usual model is to think of the photon as a "wave packet", a little pulse of waves carrying the information.

Photon structure

Mathman,

Thank you for your reply.
Yes, have any ideas on the subject?
Seti has its program for the same purpuse.
I propose that a coherent message could be "hidden", encoded in the photon and its behaviour change when directed through crystals or diferent elements. If interested, and have the time to do so, I would gladly here any suggestions, or further comments, be that they are positive or negative ones.

Sincerely yours,
Victor J. Kairé S.
vjkaires13@hotmail.com

Originally posted by mathman
Photons are considered fundamental, i.e. they have no structure. In carrying out experiments, they can exhibit particle (e.g. photoelectric effect) or wave (e.g. diffraction) behavior.

What are you looking for (interstellar light deciphering?)?

Photon structure

Originally posted by Jack
I don't really understand how light can both be made up of photons and be a wave.

I guess it is all a question of perception. If it moves it behaves as a wave, if you stop it, it behaves as a particle.

Photon structure

Originally posted by FZ+
The usual model is to think of the photon as a "wave packet", a little pulse of waves carrying the information.

Does this mean it is imposible to individually record the passage of photon by photon?

Originally posted by Victor
Does this mean it is imposible to individually record the passage of photon by photon?

There are photon counters. They depend on separate production of photons. Since photons are bosons, and hence indistinguishable, you can't separate out individual photons in a beam of light. You have to specially produce them one at a time.

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
There are photon counters. They depend on separate production of photons. Since photons are bosons, and hence indistinguishable, you can't separate out individual photons in a beam of light. You have to specially produce them one at a time.

Does this mean, that one can not count photon by photon if they have not been produced by one self? That is, if an incoming beam of interstellar light hits the measuring apparatus, one can not receive or register photon by photon individually, unless the interstellar light was originally set out photon by photon?

Thank you for your time and concern.

Victor J. Kairé S.
vjkaires@hotmail.com

What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle that makes up electromagnetic radiation, including visible light. It has no mass and travels at the speed of light.

How is light deciphered?

Light is deciphered by analyzing its properties, such as wavelength, frequency, and polarization. This information can help scientists understand the structure and behavior of photons.

What is the structure of a photon?

The structure of a photon is described by its energy, momentum, and spin. It is also characterized by its wave-particle duality, meaning it exhibits properties of both a wave and a particle.

How does photon structure impact its behavior?

The structure of a photon determines how it interacts with matter and other particles. For example, a photon's energy and frequency determine its color, while its spin can affect its polarization.

Why is understanding photon structure important?

Understanding photon structure is crucial for advancements in fields such as optics, telecommunications, and quantum mechanics. It also helps us to better understand the nature of light and the universe as a whole.