Simplification - complicated summation involving delta functions

In summary, the conversation is discussing a simplification problem involving a complicated summation with delta functions. The poster is trying to simplify an expression involving delta functions and is unsure of the correct solution. They mention that the first delta function may be ignored due to the range of k not including -1 and ask for clarification on the meaning of |k>. They also question the definition of delta being used.
Halaaku
Simplification -- complicated summation involving delta functions

Homework Statement

[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{(2^3)}}[/itex][itex]\sum[δ(k+1)+δ(k-1)][/itex]|k> for k=0 to 7

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to simplify the above expression. I get [itex]\frac{1}{∏*\sqrt{(2^3)}}[/itex] |1>, which is incorrect because |1> should have occurred with a constant 1.
Is it right to say that the first delta function can be ignored because my K is not defined for -1?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this really the correct problem statement ? Or just some step in a sequence of steps where you stumble at this point ?

Any idea what the |k> stand for ?

What definition of (or prescription for) ##\delta## do you have available under 2. ?

Halaaku, when you post in the homework forum, you need to state the problem more accurately than this, and then show us your thoughts on how to solve it.

If it's a sum rather than an integral, I have to assume that the deltas are Kronecker deltas rather than Dirac deltas. But if you use the notation ##\delta(k-1)## rather than ##\delta_{k,1}##, I have to assume that these are Dirac deltas. The problem doesn't make much sense as it appears in your post.

Related to Simplification - complicated summation involving delta functions

What is a delta function?

A delta function, also known as the Dirac delta function, is a mathematical function that is used to represent a very narrow impulse or spike at a specific point. It is zero everywhere except at that point, where it is infinitely large.

How is a delta function used in complicated summations?

Delta functions are often used in complicated summations to represent a specific value or to simplify the overall equation. They can also be used to restrict the range of integration in integrals.

What is the purpose of simplification in mathematics?

Simplification in mathematics is the process of reducing a complex expression or equation to a simpler form. This can make it easier to understand and work with, and can also reveal important patterns or relationships.

Are there any limitations to using delta functions in simplification?

While delta functions can be useful in simplifying equations, they can also sometimes lead to incorrect results if not used carefully. They are also not defined at the point where they are infinitely large, so their use may be limited in certain mathematical contexts.

Can delta functions be used in other areas of science?

Yes, delta functions are used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and signal processing. They can be used to model real-world phenomena such as impulse forces, point charges, or point masses.