Simplest way of deriving Lorentz transforms

In summary, the person can swim a length downstream and upstream, and his time is the sum of the two lengths. For crossing the river at an event location, he can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the leg crossing the river.
RobikShrestha
Is there a way to derive Lorentz transforms by knowing just Galilean/Newtonian relativity (adding up velocities) and Pythagoras theorem? I do not understand the principle of homogeneity or any higher mathematics. I can derive t' = gamma * t by using common sense and Pythagoras theorem. I am looking for such easy way to derive Lorentz transforms. I am really new at 'relativity' please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a cute method for deriving the length equations. Imagine a person swimming in a river with current v m/s. The person himself can swim at c m/s. First, he swims a length l downstream and the same length upstream. His speed, relative to the shore as he swims downstream, is c+v and the time required to swim downstream a length l is
[tex]\frac{l}{c+ v}[/tex].
His speed, relative to the shore as he swims upstream, is c- v and the time required to swim upstream a length l is
[tex]\frac{l}{c- v}[/tex]

so his total time is
[tex]\frac{l}{c+ v}+ \frac{l}{c- v}= \frac{l(c- v)+ l(c+ v)}{c^2- v^2}= \frac{2lc}{c^2- v^2}= \frac{2}{c}\frac{l}{1- \left(\frac{v}{c}\right)^2}[/tex]

Now, he swims a distance l' across the river and back. Of course, to do that, he must angle slightly upstream so that the vector addition of his speed and the river's will keep him moving across the river. If he take time t, then our vector diagram is a right triangle with hypotenuse of length ct, one leg of length cv, and the other of length l'. By the Pythagorean theorem, [itex](ct)^2= (vt)^2+ l'^2[/itex]. Then [itex](c^2- v^2)t= l'^2[/itex] so that
[tex]t^2= \frac{l'^2}{c^2- v^2}[/tex]
and
[tex]t= \frac{l'}{\sqrt{c^2- v^2}}= \frac{1}{c}\frac{l'}{\sqrt{1- \left(\frac{v}{c}\right)^2}}[/tex]

That is one way across. Coming back will take exactly the same time and so the total time will be
[tex]\frac{2}{c}\frac{l'}{\sqrt{1- \left(\frac{v}{c}\right)^2}}[/tex].

Now, suppose these two swims take exactly the same time. That is,
[tex]\frac{2}{c}\frac{l}{1- \left(\frac{v}{c}\right)^2}= \frac{2}{c}\frac{l'}{\sqrt{1- \left(\frac{v}{c}\right)^2}}[/tex]

Then we must have
[tex]l= l'\sqrt{1- \left(\frac{v}{c}\right)^2}[/tex]
and
[tex]l'= \frac{l}{\sqrt{1- \left(\frac{v}{c}\right)^2}}[/tex].

Now, do you see how that relates to the Michaelson-Moreley experiment and length contraction?

Thanks. Now I have another question: the above derivation assumes the person to be a point. I want to assume the person as a 'length' i.e. I want to keep track of both points of the person (head and legs). This I believe should directly prove length contraction: length2 = length1 / gamma. I can derive t' or l' for an event crossing my frame of reference at the origin. But what if it crosses at x=xo and travels with v velocity? I am struggling to derive the transforms. WHAT I REALLY WANT TO DERIVE is: t' = gamma * (t + x * v / (c*c)). I am really struggling with that.

Related to Simplest way of deriving Lorentz transforms

1. What are Lorentz transforms?

Lorentz transforms are mathematical equations used in special relativity to describe the relationship between the measurements of space and time between two different frames of reference.

2. Why are Lorentz transforms important?

Lorentz transforms are important because they help us understand how space and time are perceived differently by observers in different frames of reference, and they are essential for making accurate predictions in the realm of special relativity.

3. What is the simplest way to derive Lorentz transforms?

The simplest way to derive Lorentz transforms is by using the equations of motion and the principles of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction. This involves understanding the concepts of relative velocity and the speed of light as a universal constant.

4. Are Lorentz transforms difficult to understand?

Lorentz transforms can be challenging to understand at first, as they involve abstract concepts such as space-time and relative motion. However, with patience and practice, they can be comprehended and applied to various scenarios in special relativity.

5. What are some real-world applications of Lorentz transforms?

Lorentz transforms have many real-world applications, including in particle accelerators, GPS technology, and the correction of time differences in satellite communication. They are also used in the development of theories in physics and the understanding of the universe at a fundamental level.