Simpler way to solve differential equation for initial value problem?

In summary, the differential equation \frac{dy}{dx}=x{\sqrt{y}} can be rewritten as y=(\frac{1}{4}x^2+\frac{11}{4})^2 given the initial condition f(3)=25. This was achieved using the variable separation method in integration.
kreil
Insights Author
Gold Member
Rewrite the differential equation [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=x{\sqrt{y}}[/tex] in the form y=f(x) given the initial condition f(3)=25.

I am new to integration so I am unsure about my work on this problem.

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=x{\sqrt{y}}[/tex]

[tex]dy=(dx)(x)(\sqrt{y})[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{\sqrt{y}}=(dx)(x)[/tex]

[tex]\int{\frac{dy}{\sqrt{y}}}=\int{(x)(dx)}[/tex]

[tex]2y^{\frac{1}{2}}=\frac{1}{2}x^2+ C[/tex]

[tex]10=\frac{9}{2}+C[/tex]

[tex]C=\frac{11}{2}[/tex]

[tex]2y^{\frac{1}{2}}=\frac{1}{2}x^2+\frac{11}{2}[/tex]

[tex]y=(\frac{1}{4}x^2+\frac{11}{4})^2[/tex]

If I did it correctly, is there an easier way to do it? If I messed up, where?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right to me.

It doesn't seem like that much work to me.

No, it's not a lot of work, I just thought that there might be others ways to arrive at the same answer.

Thanks

kreil said:
No, it's not a lot of work, I just thought that there might be others ways to arrive at the same answer.
Thanks

Nope,there's no simpler way to integrate that diff.eq. than the variable separation method.
Nice work!

Daniel.

Related to Simpler way to solve differential equation for initial value problem?

What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to a differential equation, given an initial value or condition.

What is the importance of initial value problems in science?

Initial value problems are important in science because they can be used to model many physical phenomena, such as the motion of objects, chemical reactions, and population growth. They also help to predict future behavior based on initial conditions.

How do you solve an initial value problem?

Solving an initial value problem involves finding a function that satisfies the given differential equation and initial condition. This can be done using analytical methods, such as separation of variables, or numerical methods, such as Euler's method.

What is the difference between an initial value problem and a boundary value problem?

The main difference between these two types of problems is the type of conditions given. Initial value problems have one or more initial conditions, while boundary value problems have conditions specified at different points or boundaries of the domain.

What is the role of initial value problems in data analysis and machine learning?

Initial value problems are used in data analysis and machine learning to model and predict the behavior of complex systems. They can also be used to find optimal solutions and make predictions based on initial conditions and input data.