Simpler equation for perfectly elastic collisions.

In summary, perfectly elastic collisions problems involve calculating the final velocities of two masses from their initial momenta. There is a new formula that can be used, which involves assuming the velocity of the center of mass to be constant and using the relative velocities between the masses. This new formula is faster and works perfectly for solving these types of problems. Another useful equation for elastic collisions in one dimension is v_1 - v_2 = v_2' - v_1'.
azabak
Perfectly elastic collisions problems usually involve calculating the final velocities of two masses from their initial momenta. Trying to derive such formula I got a different result, a shorter formula to solve the same problem:
Take two masses a and b with their respective initial volocities;
First I assumed the velocity of the center of mass to be constant;
vc=const.
Then I moved my referential to the mass a. In this referential I assumed that the absolute value of the relative velocites between the mass a and the center of mass to be also constant.
What I imagined what more or less like this:
Before the collision I would see the center of mass move towards my referential with a velocity "via-vc". After the collision I would see the center of mass move in the opposite direction with the same speed;
Based on this what I got was:
|via-vc|=|vfa-vc|=const.
via-vc=vc-vfa
via+vfa=2*vc
That's it. The oddity is that it uses a rather faster thought, works perfectly and I've never seen before.
Now you can solve collisions problems with a quicker equation :)
Did you knew about this equation? Tell me what you think.

Physics news on Phys.org
That works. Another equation that you may find useful is the following (quoting from our Introductory Physics Formulary entry on Linear Momentum and Collisions):

Special Case: Elastic Collisions in one dimension:

For a perfectly elastic straight-line collision, the relative velocity is reversed during the collision:

[tex]v_1 - v_2 = v_2' - v_1'[/tex]​

Related to Simpler equation for perfectly elastic collisions.

1. How is a perfectly elastic collision defined?

A perfectly elastic collision is one in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the objects involved in the collision do not lose any kinetic energy due to deformation or other factors.

2. What is the equation for calculating the velocities of objects after a perfectly elastic collision?

The equation for calculating the velocities of objects after a perfectly elastic collision is v1f = (m1 - m2) * v1i / (m1 + m2) and v2f = 2 * m1 * v1i / (m1 + m2), where m represents mass and the subscripts i and f stand for initial and final velocities, respectively.

3. Can the perfectly elastic collision equation be used for any type of objects?

Yes, the perfectly elastic collision equation can be used for any type of objects, as long as they are considered to be point masses and no external forces are acting on them during the collision.

4. How does a perfectly elastic collision differ from an inelastic collision?

In a perfectly elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, whereas in an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost due to deformation or other factors. Additionally, in a perfectly elastic collision, the objects involved bounce off each other, while in an inelastic collision, they stick together.

5. Are there any real-life examples of perfectly elastic collisions?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of perfectly elastic collisions, such as billiard balls colliding, a tennis ball hitting a racquet, or molecules colliding in a gas. However, perfectly elastic collisions are idealized and rarely occur in real life due to factors like air resistance and imperfections in the objects involved.