Simple wave problem - phase constant

In summary: So it would be π-0.34? This gives a value that's in the 2nd quadYes. sine of an angle in 2nd quadrant is negative, so the displacement would be positive.
i_hate_math

Homework Statement

The figure shows the displacement y versus time t of the point on a string at x = 0, as a wave passes through that point. The scale of the x axis is set by ys = 84.0 mm.The wave has form y(x, t) = ym sin (kx - ωt+φ). What is φ? (Caution: A calculator does not always give the proper inverse trig function, so check your answer by substituting it and an assumed value of ω into y(x, t) and then plotting the function.)

Homework Equations

y(x, t) = ym sin (kx - ωt+φ)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is supposed to be really easy but the solution I got was wrong. My approach was straight forward:
read off the initial y value --- y(0,0)=0.028
and sub in the equation: 0.028=0.084sin(0-0+φ)
φ=arcsin(0.028/0.084)=0.339836...=0.340 rad
The question mentioned that the calculator might give the wrong value but I do not see how I could make amend to it.
Please enlighten me!

Attachments

• pict_16_62.gif
    pict_16_62.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 541
Physics news on Phys.org
At ##x=0##, you have ##y = -A\sin(\omega t -\phi)##, this is the curve ##y = -A\sin(\omega t)## translated by ##\phi##. When you compare ##y = -A\sin(\omega t)## with the picture you uploaded, you should see that ##\phi## should be in the second quadrant.

Likes i_hate_math
blue_leaf77 said:
At ##x=0##, you have ##y = -A\sin(\omega t -\phi)##, this is the curve ##y = -A\sin(\omega t)## translated by ##\phi##. When you compare ##y = -A\sin(\omega t)## with the picture you uploaded, you should see that ##\phi## should be in the second quadrant.
I see where I went wrong, thank you very much for the help!

blue_leaf77 said:
Though, are you sure its in the second quadrant? I think it should be π+0.340 and that's third quadrant

i_hate_math said:
I think it should be π+0.340 and that's third quadrant
That cannot be the case because sine of an angle in 3rd quadrant is negative, on the other hand the displacement is positive in your picture.

blue_leaf77 said:
That cannot be the case because sine of an angle in 3rd quadrant is negative, on the other hand the displacement is positive in your picture.
So it would be π-0.34? This gives a value that's in the 2nd quad

Yes.

Likes i_hate_math

Related to Simple wave problem - phase constant

1. What is the phase constant in a simple wave problem?

The phase constant in a simple wave problem is a measure of the initial position of the wave. It represents the displacement of the wave at the starting point in time, and is usually denoted by the symbol Φ (phi).

2. How is the phase constant related to the wavelength and frequency of a wave?

The phase constant is not directly related to the wavelength or frequency of a wave. It is solely determined by the initial conditions of the wave, and does not change as the wave propagates.

3. Can the phase constant be negative?

Yes, the phase constant can be negative. This indicates that the wave has an initial displacement in the negative direction, and will start at a point below the equilibrium position.

4. How does the phase constant affect the shape of a wave?

The phase constant does not affect the shape of a wave. It only determines the starting point of the wave and does not impact the amplitude, wavelength, or frequency.

5. Can the phase constant change as a wave propagates?

No, the phase constant does not change as a wave propagates. It is determined by the initial conditions and remains constant throughout the motion of the wave.