Simple Vector Component Projection

In summary, the component of vector A along B is equal to the scalar product of A and the unit vector B / lBl, which can also be represented as lAl cos(angle) where angle is the angle between the two vectors. This can help visualize the direction and magnitude of the component of A along B.
oddjobmj

Homework Statement

Consider the two vectors A=ai and B=3i+4j. What must be the value of a if the component of A along B is 6?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've arrived at the correct answer by finding the angle between the x component of B (3) and B itself which comes out to 53.13 degrees. Then 6/cos53.13 = 10 which is the correct result. However, I still don't understand what it means for something to be the component of A along B. I was hoping someone here could shed some light on what this means and how to visualize it.

Thank you,
Odd

Physics news on Phys.org
Hootenanny, do you mean scalar product? If so, then yeah, I agree. The sentence 'component of A along B' is simply the scalar product of the vectors A and the unit vector of B, ie B/ lBl.

The scalar product can be written out in terms of the components of the two vectors as: (A1B1+A2B2+A3B3) / lBl (when the vectors are expressed in some orthogonal coordinate system).

For a geometrical representation, the scalar product of A and the unit vector B / lBl is also equal to lAl cos(angle) where angle is the angle between those vectors.

The intuitive way to think of 'the component of A along B' is that you simply look at the length of the vector A in the same direction as B.

Last edited:

Related to Simple Vector Component Projection

1. What is Simple Vector Component Projection?

Simple Vector Component Projection is a mathematical concept used to break down a vector into its component parts, typically in the x and y axis. It is used to simplify complex vector calculations and is commonly used in physics and engineering.

2. How is Simple Vector Component Projection calculated?

To calculate Simple Vector Component Projection, you need to know the magnitude and direction of the vector, as well as the angle between the vector and the axis you want to project it onto. The formula is: Projection = Magnitude * cos(angle). This will give you the magnitude of the vector in the desired axis.

3. What is the purpose of Simple Vector Component Projection?

The purpose of Simple Vector Component Projection is to simplify vector calculations by breaking them down into simpler components. This makes it easier to analyze and solve complex vector problems, especially in physics and engineering applications.

4. Can Simple Vector Component Projection be used for any vector?

Yes, Simple Vector Component Projection can be used for any vector, regardless of its magnitude or direction. It is a universal mathematical concept that is applicable in various fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science.

5. How does Simple Vector Component Projection relate to other vector operations?

Simple Vector Component Projection is closely related to other vector operations, such as vector addition and subtraction. It is often used in conjunction with these operations to simplify vector calculations and solve complex problems. It is also a fundamental concept in vector algebra and is essential for understanding more advanced vector operations.