Simple Unit Analysis for Generator Revenue Calculation

In summary, the revenue from a 40 kilowatt generator can be calculated by multiplying the cost of $0.08 per kilowatt hour by the number of hours the generator is run (n). If you want to make $6.40 from the generator, n should equal 2 hours. This is because n represents the number of hours and therefore, should not have units included in it.
ainster31

Homework Statement

$$Let\quad n\quad =\quad the\quad number\quad of\quad hours\quad I\quad run\quad a\quad 40\quad kilowatt\quad generator.\\ Assume\quad that\quad it\quad costs\quad $0.08\quad for\quad 1\quad kWh.\\ Revenue\quad from\quad generator=\frac { $0.08 }{ kW\cdot hours } \quad (40\quad kW)\quad (n\quad hours)\\ =$3.2n\\ \\ Suppose\quad I\quad want\quad to\quad make\quad $6.40\quad from\quad the\quad generator.\\ $6.4=$3.2n\\ n=2$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What am I doing wrong? Why isn't n in hours?

Physics news on Phys.org
ainster31 said:

Homework Statement

$$Let\quad n\quad =\quad the\quad number\quad of\quad hours\quad I\quad run\quad a\quad 40\quad kilowatt\quad generator.\\ Assume\quad that\quad it\quad costs\quad $0.08\quad for\quad 1\quad kWh.\\ Revenue\quad from\quad generator=\frac { $0.08 }{ kW\cdot hours } \quad (40\quad kW)\quad (n\quad hours)\\ =$3.2n\\ \\ Suppose\quad I\quad want\quad to\quad make\quad $6.40\quad from\quad the\quad generator.\\ $6.4=$3.2n\\ n=2$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What am I doing wrong? Why isn't n in hours?

Because when you write time=n*hours, the units are in the "hours" part and n itself is dimensionless. If you the units to be included in 'n' just write time=n.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
Because when you write time=n*hours, the units are in the "hours" part and n itself is dimensionless. If you the units to be included in 'n' just write time=n.

Ah, got it. Thanks.

Related to Simple Unit Analysis for Generator Revenue Calculation

1. What is unit analysis and how is it used in generator revenue calculation?

Unit analysis is a mathematical method used to analyze and convert units of measurement. In generator revenue calculation, it is used to convert different units of energy (such as kilowatt-hours or megawatt-hours) into a common unit for accurate comparison and calculation.

2. How does simple unit analysis differ from other methods of unit conversion?

Simple unit analysis involves breaking down a unit into its basic components and then converting each component individually. This method is often easier to understand and more accurate than other methods, such as dimensional analysis or unit factor labeling.

3. Can unit analysis be used for all types of generators?

Yes, unit analysis can be applied to all types of generators, including wind turbines, solar panels, and traditional power plants. The key is to identify the appropriate units of measurement for each type of generator and then use unit analysis to convert them into a common unit.

4. How does unit analysis help with revenue calculation for generators?

Unit analysis is essential for revenue calculation because it allows for accurate comparison of different units of energy. By converting all units into a common unit, such as kilowatt-hours, it is easier to determine the revenue generated by each generator and make informed decisions about energy production and revenue distribution.

5. Are there any limitations to using unit analysis for generator revenue calculation?

While unit analysis is a useful tool for converting units of measurement, it is important to ensure that the units being compared are truly equivalent. In some cases, there may be other factors, such as efficiency or maintenance costs, that should also be taken into account when calculating generator revenue.