Simple Thevenin equivalent resistance problem

In summary, this young student was trying to solve a homework problem using a different method than what was given to them, and eventually was successful.
DrOnline
Gentlemen.

Homework Statement

21e5aa8.jpg

Calculate the Thevenin equivalent resistance.

Homework Equations

Rseries - Rtot = R1 + R2 + ... + Rn

Rparallel - Rtot = 1/(R1^-1 + R2^-1 ... + Rn^-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

As the picture shows, The second ohm-meter tells me 5.7 Ohms is the correct answer. I also have this answer given to me in the task.

But I must be inept at calculating resistances, because I read it this way:

Rth = (R1||R2) + R3 + (R4||R5)

Rth = 2.045 + 5 + 3.6

Rth = 10,645

Obviously wrong. Even if I disregard R3, I get 5.6045 != 5.7.

Physics news on Phys.org
R1 is not in parallel with R2. R3 is in the way! In order to be in parallel they'd have to share exactly two nodes.

I don't understand the left side of your diagram. What are you doing with a multi-meter set to measure ohms and hooked up to a live circuit?

gneill said:
R1 is not in parallel with R2. R3 is in the way! In order to be in parallel they'd have to share exactly two nodes.

Thanks! I'm new to this, and unfortunately terrible at recognizing what's parallel and what's serial. I'll review it again today.

phinds said:
I don't understand the left side of your diagram. What are you doing with a multi-meter set to measure ohms and hooked up to a live circuit?

This picture is just something I threw up real quick for illustration. The left side is largely irrelevant. I just didn't know how to draw terminals, so I felt I had to hook it up to the ohmmeter to illustrate.

So what's your new plan of attack for finding the equivalent resistance?

DrOnline said:
... I felt I had to hook it up to the ohmmeter to illustrate.

OK, understood, but I'd avise you not to ever do that in a real situation unless you don't care if you burn out the ohmmeter.

gneill said:
So what's your new plan of attack for finding the equivalent resistance?

I'm trying to find another way of look at the circuit, perhaps redrawing it to make it more intuitive. I'm also going to try just brute forcing it and then from that make a new drawing and see if I can understand it.

You may not be able to "redraw away" the inherent difficulty of not having any series or parallel opportunities to exploit for simplification. When brute force falters, try a little finesse :smile:

Two suggestions:
1) Investigate what are called Y-Delta and Delta-Y transformations.
2) Place a voltage source V where your Ohm meter is and use circuit analysis methods to find the current that this voltage would push into the circuit. Then R = V/I.

214cwgo.jpg

Alright, so this circuit redrawing is not equivalent to the original, then.

Yeah we covered Y-Delta and Delta-Y in lectures, I've just never done it myself. I'm looking into it.

Thanks a lot by the way.

I left this work for a while to focus on some other papers I had to hand in.

But I picked it up today, and I worked it out, by R3, R4 and R5 from a PI into a T, and got the 5.7 Ohm correct.

Thanks for the help lads!

1. What is a Thevenin equivalent resistance?

A Thevenin equivalent resistance is a simplified circuit that represents the behavior of a complex network of resistors. It is a single resistor that has the same voltage-current relationship as the original circuit.

2. How do you calculate the Thevenin equivalent resistance?

The Thevenin equivalent resistance can be calculated by removing all sources (voltage or current) from the original circuit and finding the equivalent resistance between the terminals. This can be done using various methods such as the voltage divider rule, mesh analysis, or nodal analysis.

3. Why is the Thevenin equivalent resistance useful?

The Thevenin equivalent resistance is useful because it simplifies complex circuits, making them easier to analyze and design. It also allows us to determine the maximum power that can be delivered to a load circuit.

4. Can the Thevenin equivalent resistance be used for nonlinear circuits?

No, the Thevenin equivalent resistance can only be used for linear circuits. Nonlinear circuits have a nonlinear voltage-current relationship, so a single equivalent resistance cannot accurately represent their behavior.

5. How is the Thevenin equivalent resistance affected by adding or removing resistors in the original circuit?

The Thevenin equivalent resistance is affected by adding or removing resistors in the original circuit. Adding resistors in parallel will decrease the equivalent resistance, while adding resistors in series will increase it. On the other hand, removing resistors will have the opposite effect. However, the equivalent resistance will always be between the lowest and highest individual resistances in the original circuit.