Simple Taylor or Multipole Expansion of Potential

In summary, the conversation was about a potential equation involving terms with r and r_i, where the goal was to expand the equation in powers of r_i/r and simplify it to the form V ~ 1/r^3. The person asking for help was struggling with the TeX formatting and had forgotten how to do the expansion.
bavaji
Hullo,

Somehow, I couldn't get the TeX to come out right.

I have been trying to learn scheme theory (algebraic geometry) and completely forgotten how to do this simple calculus type stuff...

Homework Statement

Let V be a potential of the form

[tex]V = \left(\frac{1}{r} + \left(\frac{1}{\left|\vec{r} - \left(\vec{r_{1}} - vec{r_{2}}\right)\right|} - \left(\frac{1}{\left|\vec{r} + \vec{r_{2}}\right|} - \left(\frac{1}{\left|\vec{r} - \vec{r_{1}}\right|} \right)[\tex]

where r = [tex]\left|\vec{r}\right|[\tex].

For large r >> 1 I am supposed to expand in powers of [tex]\frac{\vec{r_{i}}}{r}[\tex] to obtain the expression
[tex] V \sim \frac{1}{r^3}\left(x_{1}x_{2} + y_{1}y_{2} - 2z_{1}z_{2} \right)[\tex] where higher order terms have been neglected.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the expansion [tex]\left(\frac{1}{\left|\vec{r} + \vec{r'}\right|} = \frac{1}{r} + \frac{\vec{r}\vec{r'}}{r^3}[\tex] + terms of higher order, but somehow end up with V = 0 (up to order [tex]r^-3[\tex]. I have completely forgotten how to do this...

Would be thankful for any help...

Greetings from Germany,

bavaji

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bavaji said:
Hullo,

Somehow, I couldn't get the TeX to come out right.

While you do use "backslashes" for the special TeX characters, you need to terminate the TeX command with regular "slash" [ / tex ]:

[tex]V = \left(\frac{1}{r} + \left(\frac{1}{\left|\vec{r} - \left(\vec{r_{1}} - vec{r_{2}}\right)\right|} - \left(\frac{1}{\left|\vec{r} + \vec{r_{2}}\right|} - \left(\frac{1}{\left|\vec{r} - \vec{r_{1}}\right|} \right)[/tex]

It looks like the expression may be missing something...

Last edited:

Related to Simple Taylor or Multipole Expansion of Potential

1. What is the purpose of a Taylor expansion of potential?

A Taylor expansion of potential allows us to approximate a complex function with a simpler, polynomial function. This makes it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the original function.

2. Why is the Taylor expansion of potential referred to as "simple"?

The term "simple" in this context refers to the fact that the Taylor expansion reduces a complex function to a polynomial function, which is generally easier to work with and understand. It does not necessarily mean that the process of performing the expansion is simple.

3. How does a multipole expansion differ from a Taylor expansion of potential?

A multipole expansion is a type of Taylor expansion that is specifically used for functions that represent the potential of a physical system. It takes into account the contributions from multiple terms in the expansion, whereas a regular Taylor expansion only considers the first few terms.

4. What are the applications of a Taylor or multipole expansion of potential?

Taylor and multipole expansions are commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze and understand the behavior of complex systems, such as electric and magnetic fields, gravitational fields, and fluid flow. They are also used in numerical methods for solving differential equations and in computer simulations.

5. Is a Taylor or multipole expansion always an accurate representation of the original function?

No, a Taylor or multipole expansion is only an approximation of the original function. The accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of terms included in the expansion and the behavior of the original function. In some cases, a large number of terms may be required to achieve a good approximation.