Simple sum of forces parachute problem

In summary, a parachutist with a mass of 64 kg and initial vertical velocity of 6.3 m/s impacts the ground and comes to a complete stop in a distance of .92 m. Assuming constant acceleration, the average force exerted on the parachutist by the ground is calculated to be 1402 N in the upward direction. This is found using the equation F=ma, with a value of -21.57 m/s^2 for acceleration.
kirby27
a 64 kg parachutist falling vertically at a speed of 6.3 m/s impacts the ground, which brings him to a complete stop in a distance of .92 m. assuming constant acceleration after his feet first touch, what is the average force exerted on the parachutist by the ground?

i know:
Vf=0
Vi=6.3
delta Y = .92

i used (Vfy)^2=(Viy)^2+2a(deltaY)

and found a = -21.57

i then used F=ma: F= (65)(-21.57)

and got -1402 N

is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct method.

Is the force exerted by the ground upward, or is it downward?

i think the force exerted by the ground on the man is upward? should my answer be positive?

I would think so.

I must first commend you for using the correct equations and units in your calculations. Your method seems sound and your answer of -1402 N is correct. However, it is important to note that the negative sign indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the motion. In this case, the force is exerted by the ground on the parachutist to bring him to a complete stop. It is also important to consider any other factors that may affect the force, such as air resistance or the elasticity of the ground. Overall, your approach to solving the problem is correct and your answer is reasonable.

Related to Simple sum of forces parachute problem

1. What is a "Simple sum of forces parachute problem"?

A "Simple sum of forces parachute problem" is a scientific problem that involves calculating the forces acting on a parachute as it falls through the air. This type of problem typically requires knowledge of Newton's laws of motion and the principles of aerodynamics.

2. What are the forces involved in a parachute problem?

The main forces involved in a parachute problem are gravity, air resistance, and the weight of the parachute itself. Gravity is the force that pulls the parachute towards the ground, while air resistance is the force that acts in the opposite direction to slow down the parachute's descent. The weight of the parachute is the force that is exerted downwards due to the parachute's mass.

3. How do you calculate the net force on a parachute?

To calculate the net force on a parachute, you need to add up all the forces acting on the parachute. This can be done by using vector addition, which takes into account both the magnitude and direction of each force. The net force is then the sum of all the forces acting on the parachute in a particular direction.

4. How does air resistance affect the descent of a parachute?

Air resistance, also known as drag, plays a crucial role in the descent of a parachute. As the parachute falls through the air, it encounters air molecules that push against it in the opposite direction to its motion. This force of air resistance increases as the parachute's speed increases, eventually balancing out the force of gravity and causing the parachute to reach a terminal velocity where it falls at a constant speed.

5. How can I use a "Simple sum of forces parachute problem" in real life?

The principles involved in solving a "Simple sum of forces parachute problem" can be applied in real-life situations such as designing parachutes for skydiving or for use in emergency situations. By understanding the forces acting on a parachute, scientists and engineers can create more effective and safe parachute designs that can be used in a variety of scenarios.