Simple Static Pressure problem, with units

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving determining the pressure at the bottom of a bathtub. The poster is having trouble converting units and solving for the correct answer. The solution involves converting units to the standard SI system and using the definition of a pound.
hackashack

Homework Statement

Hi I'm having trouble solving this physics problem if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated !

Static pressure problem: A bathtub contains water to a depth of 20 inches. Determine the pressure at the bottom of the bathtub in both [psia] and [psig] (a being absolute pressure and g being gauge pressure)

Homework Equations

im using P=pgh

The Attempt at a Solution

what I've tried doing was to find gauge pressure first: P=pgh=(1.94slug/ft^3)(32.2ft/s^2)(1.67ft). I got the 1.67 feet from converting 20 inches to feet. the answer i get is 104.11slug/s^2 but they want it in psi or lb/in^2 and i am having trouble converting these units =[

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you just convert the initial 20 inches to meters then solve for the standard SI units?

Well the problem is that i don't know how to get rid of the /s^2 in my final answer and even if i use the standard SI units ill still come up with an answer that has /s^2

That's the acceleration…s^2 is an SI unit.

Also…

look at the definition of what a pound actually is (in terms of units). That should fix things.

Instead of using different unit systems, 1 cu. ft. of fresh water weighs about 62.4 pounds. Knowing that number, you should be able to find psi given the depth of water in the bath tub.

Related to Simple Static Pressure problem, with units

1. What is static pressure?

Static pressure is the force exerted by a fluid on a surface due to its weight. It is the pressure that exists in a fluid when it is not in motion.

2. How is static pressure measured?

Static pressure is typically measured using a manometer or pressure gauge. These instruments measure the pressure exerted by a fluid at a specific point in a system.

3. What are the units of static pressure?

The units of static pressure are typically expressed in pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi). Other common units include bars, atmospheres, and torr.

4. How does static pressure affect fluid flow?

Static pressure plays a critical role in fluid flow as it determines the direction and rate of flow. High static pressure can cause fluids to flow from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure, while low static pressure can result in reverse flow.

5. How can static pressure be changed?

Static pressure can be changed by altering the characteristics of the fluid, such as its density or velocity. It can also be affected by changes in the geometry of the system, such as the shape and size of the container or the presence of obstructions.