Simple Spring Question (Hooke's Law)

In summary, the left end of a spring is attached to a wall and when Bob pulls on the right end with a 200N force, it stretches by 20cm. When the same spring is used for a tug-of-war between Bob and Carlos, the net force on the spring is 0, but the total stretch remains the same. This is because in the first scenario, the wall is not pulling back while in the second scenario, Carlos is pulling back with the same force as Bob. Therefore, Carlos's end of the spring moves 10cm in each direction, resulting in a total stretch of 20cm. This is due to Hooke's Law and Newton's Second Law, where the spring constant is found to be
Gotejjeken

Homework Statement

The left end of a spring is attached to a wall. When Bob pulls on the right end with a 200N force, he stretches the spring by 20cm. The same spring is then used for a tug-of-war between Bob and Carlos. Each pulls on his end of the spring with a 200N force.

How far does Carlos's end of the spring move?

Homework Equations

Hooke's Law, Newton's Second Law

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the fact that the spring pushes back with a -200N force, I found the spring constant to be:

F(spring) = k * s => -200N = -k * 0.2m => k = 1000N/m

However, I have no idea what to do with this information. When Carlos and Bob have their tug-of-war, the net force should be 0 on the spring, which leads me to believe Carlos's end of the spring is going nowhere (0cm). I tried this answer, however it turns out that it is wrong.

I know this problem cannot be as hard as I am making it...so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there any difference in the total stretch of the spring in the two scenarios? (Consider the tension in the spring.) What is different in the two scenarios?

After looking at this some more, it seems that the only difference is the wall isn't pulling back whereas Carlos is. So when Bob pulls on the wall, the spring stretches 20 cm, and when Carlos and Bob both pull, the spring will go 10cm each way, as they are both pulling with equal force which means the spring would have to still go 20cm total. Thanks for the reply, I knew I had to be overlooking some minute detail.

Related to Simple Spring Question (Hooke's Law)

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a basic principle in physics that describes the relationship between the force applied to an object and its resulting displacement. It states that the force applied is directly proportional to the amount of stretch or compression of an object, as long as the object remains within its elastic limit.

2. How is Hooke's Law related to springs?

Hooke's Law is often applied to springs because they exhibit a linear relationship between the force applied and the resulting displacement. This means that the force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain amount is consistent regardless of the initial length of the spring.

3. What is the equation for Hooke's Law?

The equation for Hooke's Law is F = -kx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring. This equation is also known as the spring force equation or the force-displacement equation.

4. What is the unit for the spring constant in Hooke's Law?

The unit for the spring constant in Hooke's Law is newtons per meter (N/m). This unit represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by one meter.

5. What is the elastic limit in Hooke's Law?

The elastic limit in Hooke's Law is the maximum amount of stress or force that can be applied to an object before it permanently deforms. Once the elastic limit is exceeded, the object will no longer return to its original shape when the force is removed, and it will have undergone plastic deformation.