Simple special relativity problem

In summary: I'm also not sure why they would round the time to the nearest 0.1 ns but then round the distance to the nearest meter. In summary, the average lifetime of a pi meson moving at 0.95c with respect to the Earth, as measured by an observer at rest on Earth, is 83.3 ns and the average distance it travels before decaying is 24.0 meters. However, using more precise values, the correct answers are 83.267 ns and 23.7 meters. The book's answer of 83.3 ns and 24.0 meters is approximately 1% off due to rounding errors.
jethomas3182

Homework Statement

From: http://www.phas.ubc.ca/~mcmillan/rqpdfs/1_relativity.pdf

The average lifetime of a pi meson in its own frame of reference is 26.0 ns. (This is its proper lifetime.)
If the pi meson moves with speed 0.95c with respect to the Earth, what is its lifetime as measured by an
observer at rest on Earth?

What is the average distance it travels before decaying as measured by an observer at rest on Earth?

Homework Equations

T=26 ns
v=.95c

t^2=T^2 + x^2
x=vt

The Attempt at a Solution

t^2 = T^2 + (vt)^2
t^2(1-v^2) = T^2
t^2(1-.95^2) = 26^2
t*sqrt(1-.95^2)=26
t=26/sqrt(1-.95^2) = 83.267 ns rounded to 83.3 ns Books answer: 83.3 ns

distance: x = vt = 83.3ns * 3*10^8 m/s = 24.99 m rounded to 25.0 Book's answer: 24.0

My answer is about 4% off.

83.267*.3=24.98
83.267*.29979=24.8

I got the median speed, but with halflife the median is mean*ln(2).

83.267*.29979/ln(2)=35.786 rounded to 35.8. Even worse.

Did the book make a typo, or am I missing something important?

Physics news on Phys.org
The pi meson does not fly with the speed of light.

Likes 1 person
mfb said:
The pi meson does not fly with the speed of light.

Thank you! Somehow I looked right over that.

Reviewing this problem, I got

83.3*10^-9 * .95 * 3.0*10^8 = 23.74 meters

A more precise answer for the time is lower, a more precise number for lightspeed is lower. But the book's answer was 24.0, about 1% higher than my answer and their answer is claimed good to one part in 240 or so.

I don't see where I went wrong this time. It looks simple, but I don't see how to get it right.

Don't take the rounded value for the time, use a more precise one. This makes the distance even lower, however. 23.7 meters is the correct answer, rounding it to 24 is fine as well, giving 24.0 is wrong.

Likes jethomas3182
Thank you! I wasn't confident that the book had it wrong.

Related to Simple special relativity problem

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that describes the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative motion or velocity.

2. What is the difference between special relativity and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial reference frames, while general relativity extends these laws to non-inertial reference frames and includes the effects of gravity. General relativity is a more comprehensive and complex theory than special relativity.

3. How does time dilation work in special relativity?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by special relativity where time passes slower for objects moving at high speeds relative to an observer. This means that time will appear to pass slower for a person traveling in a spaceship at near-light speeds compared to someone on Earth.

4. What is the famous equation in special relativity?

The famous equation in special relativity is E=mc², where E represents energy, m represents mass, and c represents the speed of light. This equation shows the relationship between mass and energy, and it has been confirmed by numerous experiments and is a fundamental principle of modern physics.

5. How is special relativity relevant in everyday life?

Although special relativity may seem like a complex and abstract theory, it has many practical applications in our everyday lives. For example, it helps us understand GPS technology and how it accounts for time dilation due to the satellites' high speeds. It also explains the behavior of particles in particle accelerators and nuclear reactors, and it has led to advancements in nuclear energy and medical imaging.