Simple question regarding vectors in examples of physics textbooks

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in the summation of forces for a system with a ball of mass ##m## tied to a ceiling between an introductory textbook and a mechanics textbook. While the introductory textbook states ##F_{net}=T-mg##, the mechanics textbook presents it as ##F_{net}=T+mg##. The speaker is curious about the author's reasoning and is advised to carefully read the textbook to understand the definitions of T and Fnet, as well as the positive direction. It is suggested that the notation used in the mechanics textbook involves vectors for F, T, and Mg.
ghostfolk
I have noticed that in my classical mechanics course and in the textbook I read for it, the portion in examples that require to look at the sum of forces for the system is different than what I am accustomed to in introductory texts. For example, if we were dealing with a system with a ball of mass ##m## tied to a ceiling and were asked to find the forces, in an introductory textbook (as least the ones I read) would state the summation of forces as ##F_{net}=T-mg##. However, in the mechanics textbook it is written as ##F_{net}=T+mg##. I'm wondering why it seems that the downward aspect of the gravitational force is ignored. I figure that overall it doesn't make a difference, but I'm just curious for the author's reasoning as it leads me confused in both reading and comparing answers for exercises from the textbook.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try reading the textbook more carefully to understand how T and Fnet are defined the notion of what direction is positive is critical to understanding the equation.

Chances are that the text that type F=T+Mg, is using a notation where F, T and Mg are vectors.
fnet.jpg

Likes PFuser1232

Related to Simple question regarding vectors in examples of physics textbooks

1. What are vectors in physics?

Vectors are physical quantities that have both magnitude (size) and direction. They are often represented by arrows in diagrams and are used to describe the motion and forces of objects in the physical world.

2. How are vectors represented in physics textbooks?

In physics textbooks, vectors are typically represented using bold letters (such as F for force) or by placing an arrow above the letter (such as →v for velocity).

3. What are some examples of vectors in physics?

Examples of vectors in physics include displacement, velocity, acceleration, force, and momentum. These quantities have both magnitude and direction, making them vectors.

4. How are vectors added or subtracted in physics?

In physics, vectors are added or subtracted using the head-to-tail method. This involves placing the tail of one vector at the head of another and drawing a new vector from the tail of the first to the head of the second. The resulting vector is called the resultant.

5. How are vectors used in real-world applications?

Vectors are used in many real-world applications, such as navigation, engineering, and sports. They are particularly useful in describing the motion and forces of objects in three-dimensional space. For example, vectors are used in GPS systems to calculate the direction and magnitude of movement, and in sports like baseball to determine the velocity and trajectory of a ball.