Simple question on current electricity

In summary, the circuit contains two resistors in series of 25 and 15 ohm respectively, with two batteries of emf 10 V and 5 V and internal resistances of 2.5 V each. The potential difference between points A and B is determined to be -4.44 V by applying Kirchoff's Law and calculating the current in the circuit.
Abhishekdas

Homework Statement

Please refer to the diagram(attachment)...the circuit contains two resistors in series of 25 and 15 ohm respectively and there are two batteries of emf 10 V and 5 V respectively ...Only thing missing in the diagram is that both the batteries have internal resistances of 2.5 V...We need the PD between pts A and B...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Current in the circuit comes out to be 1/9...now applying Kirchoff's Law i am getting PD to be -(5-5/9) i.e -4.44 but answer is -4 the approximation is huge so i wanted to confirm my answer...

Attachments

• cir.bmp
    238.1 KB · Views: 533
Physics news on Phys.org
The OP's answer is correct.

With the two internal resistances for the batteries the situation appears as follows:
upload_2016-2-7_16-23-27.png

The battery potentials are opposing, so there's 5 V of potential left to drive current. The current is thus:

##I = \frac{5~V}{(25 + 15 + 2×2.5)~Ω} = \frac{5}{45}~A = \frac{1}{9}~A##

The potential difference between A and B can be found by doing a "KVL walk" from B to A. Either direction around the loop would work, but choosing the left hand path through the external resistors the path is going with the current, so the potential drops over both resistors. The total drop is:

##V_{AB} = -I×R = -\frac{1}{9}~A×40~Ω = -\frac{40}{9}~V = -4.44~V##

Related to Simple question on current electricity

1. What is current electricity?

Current electricity is the flow of electric charge or electrons through a conductive material, typically in a closed circuit. It is the movement of these charged particles that allows for the transfer of energy and the powering of electrical devices.

2. How is current electricity measured?

Current electricity is measured in units of amperes (A), which represents the rate of flow of electric charge. This is typically measured using an ammeter, a device that is connected in series with the circuit and measures the amount of current passing through it.

3. What factors affect the flow of current electricity?

The flow of current electricity can be affected by several factors, including the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the material the current is passing through, and the length and width of the conductor. These factors are all related by Ohm's Law, which states that current is directly proportional to voltage and inversely proportional to resistance.

4. What are the different types of current electricity?

There are two main types of current electricity: direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC). DC flows in one direction only and is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices. AC alternates the direction of flow and is used in most household and industrial electrical systems.

5. What are some real-world applications of current electricity?

Current electricity has numerous real-world applications, including powering electronic devices such as computers, phones, and televisions, lighting our homes and streets, and powering machines and appliances in factories. It also plays a crucial role in medical equipment, transportation systems, and telecommunications.