Simple question about Limit Properties

In summary, the conversation discusses a property of limits where the limit of a function multiplied by a constant is equal to the constant multiplied by the limit of the function. However, this property only holds true if the constant and the limit are not equal. The example given illustrates that the property is false if the constant and the limit are equal.
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
I read a textbook about limits. I saw several properties about the limits.

\(\displaystyle lim f(bx)= b*lim f(x)\) as x approach cThank you

Cbarker1

Physics news on Phys.org
Pick $ f(y) = \frac{1}{y}$. Then $\displaystyle \lim_{x \to c} f(bx) = \lim_{x \to c}\frac{1}{bx} = \frac{1}{bc}$. On the other hand $\displaystyle \lim_{x \to c} bf(x) = b\lim_{x \to c}\frac{1}{x} = \frac{b}{c}.$

Of course $ \frac{1}{bc} \ne \frac{b}{c}$. I'm missing something or the property is false (or they meant something else).

Hello, Cbarker1!

I read a textbook about limits.
I saw several properties about the limits.

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to c} f(bx)\:=\: b\cdot\lim_{x\to c}f(x)\)
This is not true.

Let [tex]f(x) \:=\:2x+7[/tex]

Then: .[tex]\lim_{x\to1}f(3x) \:=\:\lim_{x\to1}(6x+7) \:=\:13[/tex]

But: .[tex]3\cdot\lim_{x\to1}f(x) \:=\:3\cdot\lim_{x\to1}(2x+7) \:=\:3\cdot 9 \:=\:27[/tex]Perhaps you misread the identity.
The following is true.

. . [tex]\lim_{x\to c}b\!\cdot\!\!f(x) \;=\;b\!\cdot\!\lim_{x\to c}f(x)[/tex]

Related to Simple question about Limit Properties

1. What are the basic properties of limits?

The basic properties of limits include the limit of a sum, difference, product, quotient, constant multiple, and power of a function.

2. How do I find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can use the direct substitution method, the limit laws, or L'Hopital's rule if the function is indeterminate.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function approaching a specific value from one side, while a two-sided limit considers the behavior from both sides.

4. Can the limit of a function exist even if the function is not defined at that point?

Yes, the limit of a function can exist if the function is not defined at that point. This is known as a removable discontinuity.

5. How do I determine if a limit exists?

A limit exists if the left-hand limit and the right-hand limit of a function are equal. If they are not equal, the limit does not exist.