Simple Quantum Mechanics Problem

In summary, the conversation discussed the solution to Schrodinger's wave equation for a particular situation and determining the probability of finding a particle between certain limits. The answer was found to be 86% probability, which was confirmed as correct by the expert summarizer. The book in question, "Semiconductor Physics and Devices", was criticized for its lack of clarity and reliability, with numerous incorrect answers listed in the back and poor explanations of quantum physics. The expert summarizer suggests showing this problem and the book's answer to the professor and reading customer reviews on Amazon.
Nothing000
1. The solution to Schrodinger's wave equation for a particular situation is given by [tex]\psi(x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a_{0}}} \cdot e^{\frac{-x}{a_{0}}} [/tex]. Determine the probability of finding the particle between the limits [tex] 0 \leq x \leq a_{0} [/tex]

2. Homework Equations
[tex] \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} {(\psi(x)})^2 dx} = 1[/tex]

3. The Attempt at a Solution
[tex] \int_{0}^{a_{0}} {(\sqrt{\frac{2}{a_{0}}} \cdot e^{\frac{-x}{a_{0}}}})^2 dx}[/tex]
After evaluating that integral I am coming up with 0.864665. So wouldn't that mean that there would be an 86% probability of finding the particle in between those limits? Well, the answer in the back of the book is 4*10^(-14)%

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. I note that, to do this problem, we must *assume* that x must be positive; then the wave function is correctly normalized. A well-written problem would have stated this clearly. And the answer in the back of this book (are you *sure* you looked up the correct problem number??) is nonsense.

What book is this? I like to learn which books to avoid ...

So you are saying that MY answer is correct?!

The Book is Semi-Conductor Device Physics by Neamen

Yes, your answer is correct.

I assume you mean "Semiconductor Physics and Devices". From a customer review at amazon: "Perhaps the worst textbook I have ever had the misfortune to rely upon in an upper division EE class. ... This text lacks clarity, conciseness, logical flow, and is completely unreliable. Specific examples include not just one or two but at least 60 problems with incorrect answers listed in the back of the text." From another review: "I've seen better explanations of quantum physics written in crayon on bathroom walls."

Show this problem and the book's answer to your prof. Suggest reading the amazon customer reviews.

Last edited:
Awesome Avodyne. Thanks buddy.

Related to Simple Quantum Mechanics Problem

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a fundamental theory in physics that explains the behavior of matter and energy on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It describes how these particles interact and how their properties, such as position and momentum, can be measured.

2. What is a simple quantum mechanics problem?

A simple quantum mechanics problem is a mathematical exercise that involves applying the principles and equations of quantum mechanics to solve for a specific question or scenario. These problems can range from calculating the energy levels of an atom to predicting the behavior of particles in a quantum system.

3. How is quantum mechanics different from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a theory that describes the motion of objects on a macroscopic scale, while quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale. Unlike classical mechanics, quantum mechanics takes into account the probabilistic nature of particles and their interactions.

4. What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has numerous practical applications, including the development of transistors and computer chips, lasers, MRI machines, and even cryptography. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and manipulating materials at the nanoscale, which has implications for technologies such as solar panels and medical devices.

5. Is quantum mechanics difficult to understand?

Quantum mechanics can be a challenging concept to grasp because it involves mathematical equations and abstract concepts that are not always intuitive. However, with effort and practice, anyone can gain a basic understanding of the principles and applications of quantum mechanics.