Simple problem using Work-Energy Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem using the Work-Energy Theorem, where a 1.5 kg body is acted upon by a force with an x-component of -6x N. The velocity of the body at x = 3.0 m is given to be 8.0 m/s, and the question asks for the velocity at x = 4.0 m and the value of x when the body has a velocity of 5.0 m/s. The solution involves finding the work done by the force using an integral and equating it to the change in kinetic energy. The concept of a spring force is mentioned, but not used in the solution. Ultimately, the solution is found to be correct and the
mbrmbrg
Take Two: problem using Work-Energy Theorem

The only force acting on a 1.5 kg body as it moves along the positive x-axis has an x component Fx = - 6x N, where x is in meters. The velocity of the body at x = 3.0 m is 8.0 m/s.
(a) What is the velocity of the body at x = 4.0 m?
(b) At what positive value of x will the body have a velocity of 5.0 m/s?

WebAssign says that this problem uses concepts from the sections on Work Done by a Spring Force and Work and Kinetic Energy. I did not see how spring concepts were relevent, so I ignored them, though when I evaluated the integral, it looked a lot like a spring.
I got part (b) correct, but I'm down to my last response for part (a). Can someone tell me if this looks all right?

[tex]W=\int{F(x)dx} = \int{-6xdx} = -6\frac{x^2}{2} = -3x^2[/tex]
I evaluated the integral between x_i=3 and x_f=4 to get [tex]W = -3(4^2)-(-3)(3^2) = -21[/tex]

[tex]W=\Delta K=\frac{m}{2}(v_f^2-v_i^2)[/tex]
so [tex]\frac{2W}{m}+v_i^2=v_f^2[/tex]
so [tex]v_f = \sqrt{36} = 6m/s[/tex]

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution is correct. The equation F = -kx, where x is the displacement, is typical of a spring.

Thank you very much; getting a fairly simple problem wrong four times in a row does something to a person's self-confidence.

Related to Simple problem using Work-Energy Theorem

1. What is the Work-Energy Theorem?

The Work-Energy Theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In other words, the energy transferred to or from an object is equal to the work done on the object.

2. How is the Work-Energy Theorem used to solve simple problems?

To use the Work-Energy Theorem, you must first identify the initial and final states of the object, as well as any external forces acting on it. Then, you can use the equation W = ΔKE to calculate the work done on the object and its change in kinetic energy. This can help you determine the final velocity or distance traveled by the object.

3. What is the difference between work and energy in the context of the Work-Energy Theorem?

Work is the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance it is moved in the direction of the force, while energy is the ability to do work. The Work-Energy Theorem relates these two concepts by stating that the work done on an object results in a change in its energy.

4. Can the Work-Energy Theorem be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the Work-Energy Theorem can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, rotational, and oscillatory motion. As long as the object is experiencing a net force and has a change in kinetic energy, the theorem can be used to analyze its motion.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Work-Energy Theorem?

While the Work-Energy Theorem is a useful tool for solving simple problems, it does have some limitations. It assumes that there are no non-conservative forces (such as friction) acting on the object and that the mass of the object remains constant. Additionally, it does not take into account any potential energy the object may have.