Simple probability that I can't get out

• Thread starter rock.freak667
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses different homework statements and their corresponding solutions. These include writing events in set notation, calculating the probability of at least two people having the same birthday, determining the number of available plans in a given scenario, and finding the probability of a fair coin landing on heads for the first time on an odd numbered toss. The conversation also includes some clarification and corrections on the solutions, such as the correct way to write the probability for the birthday problem and the correct sets for the "at most" and "exactly" events.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper
Well it's been about 4 years since I've done these types of questions, so I need some help in checking if I am overthinking it or if I am just straight wrong.

I did simplify the wording a bit.

Homework Statement

a)Given 2 events, A & B, write in set notation
1)the event that at most A or B occurs
2) The event that exactly A or B occurs

The Attempt at a Solution

n=intersect, u=union

1) P(AuB)=P(A)+P(B)-P(AuB)

2) Not sure

Homework Statement

b)There are n people in a room, what is the probability that at least 2 have the same birthday?

P(no 2 having the same birthday)+P(at least 2 having the same birthday)=1

P(no 2 having the same birthday)=(365/365)*(364/365)

P(no 3 having the same birthday)=(365/365)*(364/365)*(363/365)

P(no 4 having the same birthday)=(365/365)*(364/365)*(363/365)*(362/365)
P(no 'n' having the same birthday)=(365/365)*(364/365)*(363/365)*(362/365)*(361/365)*...*(365-n+1)/365)

It looks like the numerator should be 365! and the denominator, 365n, but I am not sure what happens to the 'n' in the numerator.

Homework Statement

c)There's an offer of a choice of 4 designs, 3 different heating systems, a garage or carport, and a patio or screened porch. How many different plans aer available?

I think it would be 4*3*2*2 = 48

Homework Statement

d)A fair coin is tossed until a head appears for the first time. The tosses are independent.
Give the sameple space and what is the probability that the first head appears when the toss number is odd.

S={H,TH,TTH,TTTH,TTTTH,TTTTTH,...}

Is that how it woud look?

For the odd numbered toss, it would be

P(H),P(TTH),P(TTTTH),...
= 1/2,1/8,1/32,1/128,...

which forms a GP with first term a=1/2 and common ratio r =1/4. So the sum to infinity is a/1-r

=(1/2)(1-0.25)=(1/2)*(4/3)=2/3

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you simplified the wording a bit too much on the first one. I'm not sure I understand what e.g. "at most A or B occurs". Do you mean at most one of A or B occurs? That would mean the only events that don't count is where A and B both occur. For the birthday problem, what's the probability that NONE of the n people have the same birthday? c) and d) look ok to me.

Dick said:
I think you simplified the wording a bit too much on the first one. I'm not sure I understand what e.g. "at most A or B occurs". Do you mean at most one of A or B occurs? That would mean the only events that don't count is where A and B both occur. For the birthday problem, what's the probability that NONE of the n people have the same birthday? c) and d) look ok to me.

sorry I left out the word one. It should bethe event that at most one of A or B occurs
The event that exactly one of A o B occursAlso if one person has a birthday, then the probability that the rest do not have that birthday is 364/365.

rock.freak667 said:
sorry I left out the word one. It should bethe event that at most one of A or B occurs
The event that exactly one of A o B occursAlso if one person has a birthday, then the probability that the rest do not have that birthday is 364/365.

Ok, then your whole event space, call it E, can be divided into four nonoverlapping regions, E-(AuB), A-B, B-A and AnB, right? Which combination is the answer to each part?

rock.freak667 said:
Also if one person has a birthday, then the probability that the rest do not have that birthday is 364/365.

Not exactly. If they all have DIFFERENT birthdays, then the first one can choose any day, the second has 364 days to choose from, the third 363, etc etc.

Dick said:
Ok, then your whole event space, call it E, can be divided into four nonoverlapping regions, E-(AuB), A-B, B-A and AnB, right? Which combination is the answer to each part?

I think at most one of A or B would be E(AuB), and exactly one of A or B would by E(B) or E(A) ?

Sorry I am a bit confused with it.

Dick said:
Not exactly. If they all have DIFFERENT birthdays, then the first one can choose any day, the second has 364 days to choose from, the third 363, etc etc.

Yeah, that is what I was trying with my attempt, I just didn't subtract it from 1.

1-(365!/365n)

rock.freak667 said:
I think at most one of A or B would be E(AuB), and exactly one of A or B would by E(B) or E(A) ?

Sorry I am a bit confused with it.

The are asking for sets, not probabilities. I am thinking of E as the set of ALL events, so A and B are subsets of E. I don't know E(A) would mean. If you mean E-(AuB) for the 'at most' part, then sounds ok. Wouldn't 'exactly one' be (AuB)-(AnB)?

rock.freak667 said:
Yeah, that is what I was trying with my attempt, I just didn't subtract it from 1.

1-(365!/365n)

If that's what you mean, then 1-365!/365^n is a pretty sloppy way to write it. It doesn't mean what you are describing.

Dick said:
The are asking for sets, not probabilities. I am thinking of E as the set of ALL events, so A and B are subsets of E. I don't know E(A) would mean. If you mean E-(AuB) for the 'at most' part, then sounds ok. Wouldn't 'exactly one' be (AuB)-(AnB)?

Then would I not have to subtract the complement of of AuB? Unless the entire event is just A and B, which I don't think I can assume.

Dick said:
If that's what you mean, then 1-365!/365^n is a pretty sloppy way to write it. It doesn't mean what you are describing.

so if (365n-365!)365n is incorrect, how do I go about doing it correctly?

rock.freak667 said:
Then would I not have to subtract the complement of of AuB? Unless the entire event is just A and B, which I don't think I can assume.

so if (365n-365!)365n is incorrect, how do I go about doing it correctly?

Sure, you can subtract complement of AuB. What makes you think that would change anything? On the second one, take n=1. That's 1-365!/365. 365! is MUCH larger then 365. So that expression is negative. 1-365!/365^n is not a correct expression for your answer.

Dick said:
Sure, you can subtract complement of AuB. What makes you think that would change anything? On the second one, take n=1. That's 1-365!/365. 365! is MUCH larger then 365. So that expression is negative. 1-365!/365^n is not a correct expression for your answer.

Well I am seeing that I can write the equations in my first post as factorials.

P(no 2 having the same birthday)=(365/365)*(364/365)=365!/363!3652

P(no 3 having the same birthday)=(365/365)*(364/365)*(363/365)=365!/362!3653

which can be extended to 'n' such that

P(no 'n' having the same birthday)=365!/(365-n)!365n= 365Pn/365n

So P(at least two having the same birthday)=1- 365Pn/365n

I think this should always give a number less than 1.

rock.freak667 said:
Well I am seeing that I can write the equations in my first post as factorials.

P(no 2 having the same birthday)=(365/365)*(364/365)=365!/363!3652

P(no 3 having the same birthday)=(365/365)*(364/365)*(363/365)=365!/362!3653

which can be extended to 'n' such that

P(no 'n' having the same birthday)=365!/(365-n)!365n= 365Pn/365n

So P(at least two having the same birthday)=1- 365Pn/365n

I think this should always give a number less than 1.

That looks better.

Dick said:
That looks better.

so it's correct then? thanks!

Related to Simple probability that I can't get out

What is simple probability?

Simple probability is a branch of mathematics that deals with the likelihood of an event occurring. It is used to predict the chances of a particular outcome in a situation where all outcomes are equally likely.

How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. It is usually expressed as a decimal, percentage, or fraction.

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability, on the other hand, is based on actual data collected from experiments or observations.

Can probability be greater than 1 or less than 0?

No, probability cannot be greater than 1 or less than 0. A probability of 0 means that an event is impossible, while a probability of 1 means that an event is certain to occur. Any value between 0 and 1 represents the likelihood of an event occurring.

How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in many real-life situations, such as in weather forecasting, gambling, and risk assessment. It is also used in decision-making processes, such as in business and finance, to determine the likelihood of success or failure.