Simple piston Pressure Problem

In summary, the problem involves determining the force required on a vertical shaft attached to a piston in a gas-filled cylinder. The pressure of the gas, weight of the piston and shaft, and atmospheric pressure are given. Using the equations F=pA and F=ma, the pressure exerted by the gas is calculated and used in a free body diagram to determine the required force. There is a discrepancy in the calculations for the gas force, but the area of the shaft is not needed in the solution. A different approach using the forces directly may be necessary.
engstud

Homework Statement

Figure P1.30 (attached) shows a gas contained in a vertical piston-cylinder assembly. A vertical shaft whose cross-sectional area is 0.8 cm2 is attached to the top of the piston. Determine the magnitude, F, of the force acting on the shaft, in N, required if the gas pressure is 3 bar. The masses of the piston and attached shaft are 24.5kg and 0.5kg respectively. The piston diameter is 10cm. The local atmospheric pressure is 1 bar. The piston moves smoothly in the cylinder and g=9.81 m/s2

Homework Equations

F=pA
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the pressure exerted on the piston by the gas (I called it Fg) using Fg=pA which gave me Fg=(3 bar * 105 Pa)*pi*(.05m)^2=23561.9 N

I then drew a free body diagram of the piston, applied Newton's second law and ended up with 0=Fg-F-Ws-Wp where Ws is the weight of the shaft and Wp is the weight of the piston. When I plug in all my numbers and solve for F I end up with 23316.7N. I do not know whether or not this is the correct answer but I am being thrown off by the fact that they gave me the cross-sectional area of the shaft and I did not use it. Can someone please check my logic?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 2,696
Physics news on Phys.org
I have the calculations for the atm and gas force. I am not seeing how some get the formula, Fatm=F+Fgas+W. How do you come to this formula from the diagram? And then solve for F. Anyone.

The area of the shaft is not needed. Convert the pressures to forces and do a free body diagram on the piston. I think the Force exerted by the gas is incorrect, decimal problem.

Related to Simple piston Pressure Problem

1. What is a simple piston pressure problem?

A simple piston pressure problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the pressure exerted by a piston on a gas or liquid inside a closed container. This type of problem typically involves using the ideal gas law and understanding the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature.

2. How do you solve a simple piston pressure problem?

To solve a simple piston pressure problem, you will need to gather all the necessary information, including the volume of the container, the amount of gas or liquid inside, and the temperature. Then, you can use the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) to calculate the pressure exerted by the piston.

3. What are the units for pressure in a simple piston pressure problem?

The units for pressure in a simple piston pressure problem are typically either in Pascals (Pa) or atmospheres (atm). It is important to make sure all the other units in the equation are in the correct SI units to get an accurate answer.

4. How does the volume of the container affect the pressure in a simple piston pressure problem?

In a simple piston pressure problem, the volume of the container is directly proportional to the pressure exerted by the piston. This means that as the volume decreases, the pressure increases, and vice versa.

5. What are some real-world applications of simple piston pressure problems?

Simple piston pressure problems have many real-world applications, such as in the design of engines, pumps, and hydraulic systems. These problems are also used in the study of weather patterns and the behavior of gases in closed environments, such as in a scuba tank.