Simple phase relationship (current & voltage)

In summary: Yes, that's correct. Leading by a negative angle means that the voltage is "lagging" by that amount.
Color_of_Cyan

Homework Statement

Given tthe following voltage and current

i(t) = 5sin(377t - 20°)A
v(t) = 10cost(377t + 30°)V

Determine phase relationship between i(t) and v(t)

Homework Equations

wave functions

wave properties

The Attempt at a Solution

Would the phase relationship simply be 50° here? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Color_of_Cyan said:

Homework Statement

Given tthe following voltage and current

i(t) = 5sin(377t - 20°)A
v(t) = 10cost(377t + 30°)V

Determine phase relationship between i(t) and v(t)

Homework Equations

wave functions

wave properties

The Attempt at a Solution

Would the phase relationship simply be 50° here? Thanks

Nope. Convert one of the trig functions so that it is the same as the other (for example, convert the cosine to a sine function by applying the appropriate phase shift).

Likes 1 person
So for i(t) would it be

i(t) = 5sin(377t - 20°) = 5cos(377t - 110°) then? It feels like something I should know well already, but it's been years again..

Color_of_Cyan said:
So for i(t) would it be

i(t) = 5sin(377t - 20°) = 5cos(377t - 110°) then?
Sure. A phase shift of -90° let's you convert the sin to a cos as you've done. Now you can directly compare the phase shifts between the voltage and current.
It feels like something I should know well already, but it's been years again..

It could be one of those things that you used only once for one homework assignment...

Likes 1 person
So are you just comparing the angles then?

Can you say the difference is simply 140°?

Color_of_Cyan said:
So are you just comparing the angles then?

Can you say the difference is simply 140°?

Yes, you want to compare the phase angles when both are based on the same trig function. In this case the phase offset difference is 140°. You might want to investigate further and decide whether the current is leading the voltage by that amount, or lagging it.

So how do you tell which is leading which, is it the current always leading the voltage or lagging it ?

I'm thinking the current here may be lagging the voltage by (140° - 90°)

which is by 50° but probably wrong

Color_of_Cyan said:
So how do you tell which is leading which, is it the current always leading the voltage or lagging it ?

I'm thinking the current here may be lagging the voltage by (140° - 90°)

which is by 50° but probably wrong

You've already determined that the phase difference between them is 140°. So that's the phase difference.

There is no rule that says the current always leads the voltage. In fact, it can go either way depending upon the components comprising the circuit. Here you've got the time domain expressions for the current and voltage, so you should be able to state which one is leading the other by the phase angles of each when they're both in the same 'sin' or 'cos' form.

Note that when they are in the same form you can add or subtract the same angle from both without changing the relative phase. So, for example, if you had:

i(t) = cos(ωt - 27°)
v(t) = cos(ωt + 134°)

then you could add 27° to both arguments to yield:

i(t) = cos(ωt)
v(t) = cos(ωt + 161°)

leaving the current without a phase angle, and you could then see that v(t) leads i(t) by 161°.

This 'trick' is just for comparing the relative phase angles of two values; don't go using the resulting expressions as the actual time-domain expressions for voltage and current, especially if you have other calculations for voltages and currents elsewhere in the circuit that have their own phases related to the originals.

Likes 1 person
Ah ok thanks, so here the voltage v(t) leads i(t) by 140°.I also take it if something is "leading" by a negative angle it is actually "lagging" instead, right?

Last edited:

Related to Simple phase relationship (current & voltage)

1. How do current and voltage relate to each other in a simple phase relationship?

In a simple phase relationship, current and voltage are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the voltage increases, the current also increases, and vice versa.

2. What is the significance of a simple phase relationship between current and voltage?

A simple phase relationship between current and voltage is important because it helps us understand how electricity flows in a circuit. It also allows us to calculate the power and energy consumed by a device.

3. Can the phase relationship between current and voltage ever be out of sync?

Yes, the phase relationship between current and voltage can be out of sync in certain situations. This is known as a complex phase relationship, where the current and voltage are not directly proportional to each other.

4. How does the phase relationship between current and voltage affect the performance of electronic devices?

The phase relationship between current and voltage can affect the performance of electronic devices in multiple ways. If the phase relationship is not ideal, it can lead to power loss, overheating, and damage to the device.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding the simple phase relationship between current and voltage?

Yes, understanding the simple phase relationship between current and voltage is crucial in designing and building electrical circuits. It also helps in troubleshooting and diagnosing issues in electronic devices.