Simple pendulum with initial velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses questions related to amplitude variation in regards to changing velocity, the relationship between amplitude and velocity or frequency, and confusion over solving specific questions. The conversation also suggests considering conservation of energy and trigonometric ratios to help solve the questions. The speaker also asks for online sources for further help.
MathewsMD
Hi,

I've attached a couple questions just because these are the type of questions I've had some difficulty solving since I don't recall addressing anything too similar too similar in the past (i.e., changing velocity and determining how the amplitude varies because of this). I know to go from x(t) to v(t) you take the derivative, and that x(t) = xmcos(ωt + ø) in general. Then v(t) = -ωxmsin(ωt + ø). When looking at questions similar to 39, when I see vo is now 4vo and asking for the amplitude change to be determined, I look at xm. This means the new amplitude would have to be 4xm since all other variables are being kept constant, no? Also, once again taking the derivative to find a(t), wouldn't the acceleration be 4 times as great once again?

Is there any other fundamental expression relating amplitude with velocity or frequency or any other variable as in question 21 or in general? Once again, I am also slightly confused on how exactly question 25 was solved too. If there any good online sources I could be referred to that would be greatly appreciated! If I am just missing something here and if someone could point out what I am not looking at, that would be amazing too!

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-12 at 10.15.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-12 at 10.15.54 PM.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 780
  • Screen Shot 2014-04-12 at 10.16.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-12 at 10.16.08 PM.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 577
  • Screen Shot 2014-04-12 at 10.16.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-12 at 10.16.16 PM.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 554
Physics news on Phys.org
MathewsMD said:
Hi,

I've attached a couple questions just because these are the type of questions I've had some difficulty solving since I don't recall addressing anything too similar too similar in the past (i.e., changing velocity and determining how the amplitude varies because of this). I know to go from x(t) to v(t) you take the derivative, and that x(t) = xmcos(ωt + ø) in general. Then v(t) = -ωxmsin(ωt + ø). When looking at questions similar to 39, when I see vo is now 4vo and asking for the amplitude change to be determined, I look at xm. This means the new amplitude would have to be 4xm since all other variables are being kept constant, no? Also, once again taking the derivative to find a(t), wouldn't the acceleration be 4 times as great once again?

Is there any other fundamental expression relating amplitude with velocity or frequency or any other variable as in question 21 or in general? Once again, I am also slightly confused on how exactly question 25 was solved too. If there any good online sources I could be referred to that would be greatly appreciated! If I am just missing something here and if someone could point out what I am not looking at, that would be amazing too!

Thanks!

For the first question, I quite agree with you.

You can view it from a conservation of energy perspective as well. When the mass is instantaneously at rest, all its KE has been converted to elastic PE in the spring, and this is also the point at which displacement = amplitude. At this point ##\frac{1}{2}kx^2 = \frac{1}{2}mv^2##, where ##v## is the initial velocity of the mass. So ##x \propto v##. The maximum acceleration also occurs at this point, and since ##F = -kx##, ##a \propto v##. Hence, I think D should be the right answer.

As to no. 25, think about which trig ratios are positive and negative in which quadrants.

MathewsMD said:
Hi,

Yes and yes. The key must be wrong.

You can also see this by considering the interplay of potential energy and kinetic energy. The max PE is proportional to xmax2 and the maximum KE is proportional to vmax2. In these cases vmax is v0 or 4v0.

attachment.php?attachmentid=68606&d=1397355410.png

Thanks!
I don't see problem 21.

You might get better response if you would include the images in your post.

By The Way: Don't ask unrelated questions in the same post. (In one you ask for some specific help. In the other, some more general help.)

attachment.php?attachmentid=68608&d=1397355410.png

Related to Simple pendulum with initial velocity

1. What is a simple pendulum with initial velocity?

A simple pendulum with initial velocity is a physical system consisting of a mass attached to a fixed point by a light string or rod, which is initially given a push or velocity. The mass then swings back and forth in a regular pattern, known as harmonic motion.

2. What is the formula for calculating the period of a simple pendulum with initial velocity?

The formula for calculating the period of a simple pendulum with initial velocity is T = 2π √(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the pendulum in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

3. How does the initial velocity affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The initial velocity of a simple pendulum does not affect its period. The period of a simple pendulum is only dependent on its length and the acceleration due to gravity. However, the initial velocity does affect the amplitude (maximum displacement) of the pendulum's swing.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of a simple pendulum with initial velocity?

The accuracy of a simple pendulum with initial velocity can be affected by factors such as air resistance, friction in the pivot point, and the angle at which the pendulum is released. These factors can alter the period of the pendulum and therefore affect its accuracy.

5. How can the period of a simple pendulum with initial velocity be measured accurately?

The period of a simple pendulum with initial velocity can be measured accurately by using a stopwatch to time a certain number of swings and then calculating the average time for one swing. This can be repeated multiple times and the average of all the measurements can be taken to increase accuracy.