Simple pendulum with Charged bobs

In summary, two simple pendulums with charged bobs hanging from the same point in a satellite will have perfectly horizontal strings if the bobs are charged with similar charges and repulsion occurs. However, if the bobs are oppositely charged, the strings will collapse due to attraction. This is discussed further in thread 830160.
gracy
If two simple pendulum with charged bobs hanging from the same point are taken in a satellite ,then their strings will become perfectly horizontal.

I think that should be the case when these bobs are charged with similar charges and hence repulsion occurs but what if the bobs are oppositely charged I don't think their strings will become perfectly horizontal.Rather the bobs should collapse.Am I right?
my following thread is related with this one.
http://postimg.org/image/h2hq9otqv/

http://postimg.org/image/gbaps0een/
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/problem-related-to-coloumbs-force.830160/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Right. They attract each other and the strings don't get in the way.
Thread 830160 is well squeezed out and done with, I should hope...
So maybe this time we can have a record Gracy thread of only two posts !

( Feeble attempt to score in the humour hitlist...:smile: )

--

Likes gracy

Related to Simple pendulum with Charged bobs

1. How does a simple pendulum with charged bobs work?

A simple pendulum with charged bobs works by utilizing the force of gravity and the electric force between two charged objects. The pendulum bob is charged with either a positive or negative charge, and as it swings back and forth, it experiences a force from the electric field of the other charged object, causing it to accelerate in a different direction.

2. What factors affect the motion of a simple pendulum with charged bobs?

The motion of a simple pendulum with charged bobs is affected by the length of the pendulum, the magnitude of the charges on the bobs, the strength of the electric field, and the initial displacement of the pendulum.

3. What is the relationship between the period of a simple pendulum with charged bobs and the length of the pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum with charged bobs is directly proportional to the length of the pendulum. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, the period of its oscillation also increases.

4. Can the motion of a simple pendulum with charged bobs be affected by external factors?

Yes, the motion of a simple pendulum with charged bobs can be affected by external factors such as air resistance, friction in the pivot point, and other external forces. These factors can alter the motion of the pendulum and affect its period and amplitude.

5. How is the motion of a simple pendulum with charged bobs different from a regular simple pendulum?

The motion of a simple pendulum with charged bobs differs from a regular simple pendulum in that it experiences an additional force from the electric field between the charged bobs. This can cause the pendulum to exhibit non-uniform motion and may change its period and amplitude.