Simple Pendulum SHM Problem: Calculating Angular Frequency for Maximum Amplitude

In summary, the conversation discusses a pendulum with a mass of 0.52g and a length of 0.31m being acted upon by a force. The question asks for the angular frequency that will result in the maximum amplitude of oscillation. The solution involves using the natural frequency of the system, which is calculated using the equation for a simple pendulum. This method works because resonance occurs when an external force is applied at the natural frequency of a system.
Hernaner28

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=48776&stc=1&d=1341063270.gif

Consider, as shown in the picture, a penulum of mass m=0.52g, hanging on an ideal rope of length l=0.31m. A force is exerted to this pendulum as shown in the picture.
The horizontal component of the force is:
[tex] \displaystyle {{F}_{x}}={{F}_{0}}\cos \left( \omega t \right)[/tex]
[tex] \displaystyle {{F}_{0}}=2.3N[/tex]

Calculate the angular frequency that will make the system oscilate with the maximum amplitud. Consider small oscilations around the equilibrium position.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did nothing beucase I don't know how to deal with that variable force. BUT, what I did was to use the angular frequency of a simple pendulim which is
[tex] \displaystyle \sqrt{\frac{g}{L}}[/tex]
And I just replaced the values and I got the correct answer! 5.6rad/s.
But my question is: why did I get the correct result if there's a force there?

Thanks!

Attachments

• spend.gif
    spend.gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 586
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Hernaner28! :smile:

Your method works because the frequency you used is the natural frequency of the system. And anybody vibrates with a greater amplitude when externally forced to vibrate with its natural frequency(Resonance)

Related to Simple Pendulum SHM Problem: Calculating Angular Frequency for Maximum Amplitude

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight (known as the bob) suspended from a fixed point by a string or rod. It is used to demonstrate Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) and is an idealized model of a real-life pendulum.

2. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion refers to the back-and-forth motion of an object that is caused by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from its equilibrium position. In a simple pendulum, this restoring force is provided by the tension in the string or rod.

3. How is the period of a simple pendulum calculated?

The period of a simple pendulum can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(l/g), where T is the period (in seconds), l is the length of the string or rod (in meters), and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² on Earth).

4. What factors affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is affected by its length, the mass of the bob, and the acceleration due to gravity at the location where the pendulum is being used. It is independent of the amplitude (angle of swing) and the mass of the bob.

5. How can a simple pendulum be used to measure the acceleration due to gravity?

By knowing the length of the pendulum and measuring its period, the acceleration due to gravity can be calculated using the equation g = (4π²l)/T². This is because the period of a simple pendulum is directly proportional to the square root of the length and inversely proportional to the square root of the acceleration due to gravity.