Simple pendulum problem - having trouble with the math

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving a simple pendulum on Mars with a given value for gravity. The student is having trouble solving for the length of the pendulum given a desired period of 2 seconds. They share their attempt at solving the problem and ask for assistance. Another user confirms that their algebra is correct. The conversation then moves on to discussing a variation of the problem and the student asks for help in solving it. The final part of the conversation involves another user providing a solution and pointing out an error in the professor's answer. The conversation ends with another student asking for help with a similar problem.
Confused20
Simple pendulum problem - having trouble with the math!

Homework Statement

A simple pendulum is set up on Mars where g=3.72m/s^2. How long should pendulum be if period T is to be 2.00 seconds?

Homework Equations

T=2pia(3.14) times square root of l(length)/gravity

The Attempt at a Solution

I placed in 2 seconds for T and divided it by 2pia(3.14). Then I squared this number and then multiplied it by 3.72 to solve for l(length). The correct answer is supposed to be .965 but I did not get this answer. Can anyone please help. I have an exam in 2 days! Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

So, what did you come up with? I think the "correct answer" is wrong.

Thank you for your response. The answer I got was .377 meters. My professor stated in class that the answer was .965. Is this the answer that you got as well? Is the manner in which I approached the algebra correct?

Yes, that's what I got. Your algebra looks immaculate! As a check, you can always plug your result back into the equation and see it you get the right T. Good luck with your test (and welcome to PF!)

Thank you very much for confirming that I did the algebra correctly. My professor also suggested that we do a variation of the problem where length=.965m and T=2.00 and then attempt to solve for gravity (answer should be 3.72 m/s^2). Can you assist me in solving this problem. We are of course using the same equation of T=2pia(3.14) times the square root of length over gravity. I began to attempt to solve this problem in a similar manner by dividing 2.00 by 2pia(3.14) and then squaring that number. The next step is puzzling for me because of my lack of algebra. I decided to divide that number by .965. Can you please assist me in this last step. The answer I get is .105 m/s^2. Any help on how to solve this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Notice in this equation that if you increase l (say, from 0.377 to .965), then g must also increase for T to remain constant.

[tex]T = 2\pi\sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}[/tex]

Here is what you did:

[tex]\frac{T}{2\pi} = \sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{T^2}{4\pi^2} = \frac{l}{g}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{T^2}{4l\pi^2} = \frac{1}{g}[/tex]

I think you solved for 1/g. Can you think of what to do to bring up g to the numerator?

If you use g = 9.81 m/s^2 in the formula for the period of a pendulum, then the length of 0.965 m gives a period of 2 s. An l = 0.377 m and a g = 3.72 m/s^2 also gives a period of 2 s. Your 'professor' owes you an apology and he is also due a head slap for not checking his math.

Im also having problems with this simple pendulum equation if you have a 1m long pendulum with a 2kg mass is pulled back 0.1 m and then released so that it swings back and forth predict what the horizontal position x will look like as a function of time i can't figure out how this equation goes i have been on the same thing for 2 days I am stuck can someone help me please

Related to Simple pendulum problem - having trouble with the math

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight, or bob, attached to a string or rod that is free to swing back and forth. It is often used as a model to demonstrate the principles of oscillation and gravity.

2. How do I find the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the string or rod, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Alternatively, you can use a stopwatch to time the pendulum for one full swing and divide that time by the number of swings to find the average period.

3. What is the relationship between the length of a simple pendulum and its period?

The length of a simple pendulum is directly proportional to its period. This means that as the length increases, the period also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation T = 2π√(L/g).

4. How do I calculate the velocity of a simple pendulum?

The velocity of a simple pendulum can be calculated using the equation v = √(gL(1-cosθ)), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, L is the length of the string or rod, and θ is the angle of displacement from the equilibrium position. This equation takes into account both the length of the pendulum and the angle at which it swings.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of my simple pendulum experiment?

The accuracy of a simple pendulum experiment can be affected by a number of factors, such as air resistance, friction at the pivot point, and the initial angle of displacement. It is important to minimize these factors as much as possible in order to obtain accurate results. Additionally, using a longer string or rod and measuring multiple swings can also improve the accuracy of the experiment.