Simple pendulum: Determine the velocity

In summary, a homogeneous bar with length 0.6 m and mass m = 2 kg is fixed to a wall via a hinged connection in the vertical plane. A constant force F of 150 N acts on the end of the bar, released from vertical equilibrium. The problem is unclear on the direction of the force, but assuming it is horizontal, the book's answer is \omega = 26.4 rad/s and v_{COG} = 7.9 m/s. The error in the given solution may be due to not accounting for the force's direction or not including the effect of gravity.
dirk_mec1

Homework Statement

A homogeneous bar with length 0.6 m and mass m = 2 kg is fixed to a wall via a hinged connection in the vertical plane. At the end of the bar a constant force F acts of 150 N. The bar is released from the vertical equibrilium position. Determine the velocity (of the COG) and the angular velocity of the bar when the bar reaches a horizontal postition.

The answer from the book is: [itex]\omega [/itex] = 26.4 rad/s and [itex]v_{COG}[/itex] = 7.9 m/s

Homework Equations

Work moment : [tex] M = I \theta [/tex]
Rotational energy:

[tex] \frac{1}{2} I \omega ^2 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] M \theta =\frac{1}{2} I \omega ^2 =\frac{1}{2} (\frac{1}{3}ML^2) \omega ^2 [/tex]

[tex] 150 \cdot0.6 \cdot \pi/2= 1/2 \cdot 1/3\cdot 2 \cdot 0.6^2 \cdot \omega^2 \rightarrow \omega =\ 34.32 rad/s [/tex]

What mistake am I making?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I see no gravity here.

Potential energy

The gravity is not mentioned in the exercise but let's add it:

[tex] M \theta =\frac{1}{2} I \omega ^2 + mg\Delta h \rightarrow\ \omega = 23.5\ rad/s [/tex]

Why is my answer not agreeing with the one from the book?

Last edited:
The question is not clear. Which way is F acting initially, and which way does it act later?
It says the force is constant, not that its magnitude is constant. That suggests its direction is constant.

Yeah you're right the question is posed wrongly.. I found out I get the right answer if I assume the force acts horizontally.

Related to Simple pendulum: Determine the velocity

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point by a string or rod. It is often used as an example in physics to study the effects of gravity and motion on a system.

2. How do you determine the velocity of a simple pendulum?

The velocity of a simple pendulum can be determined by measuring the length of the string, the angle at which it is released, and the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing. This can be calculated using the formula v = √(gL(1-cosθ)) where v is velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, L is the length of the string, and θ is the angle of release.

3. What factors affect the velocity of a simple pendulum?

The velocity of a simple pendulum is affected by the length of the string, the angle of release, and the mass of the weight. The acceleration due to gravity, g, is a constant and also affects the velocity.

4. Why is it important to determine the velocity of a simple pendulum?

Determining the velocity of a simple pendulum is important in understanding the principles of motion and gravity. It can also be used to study the behavior of other systems that exhibit similar motion, such as a swinging pendulum in a clock.

5. How is the velocity of a simple pendulum related to its period?

The period of a simple pendulum, or the time it takes for one full swing, is inversely proportional to the velocity. This means that as the velocity increases, the period decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula T = 2π√(L/g) where T is the period, L is the length of the string, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.