Simple Pendulum Amplitude Investigation: Graph and Uncertainty Analysis

In summary, the equation for a damped pendulum is: [##\ln A= -kt + \ln A_0##] and at the y-intercept, ln(A/A0) = lnA0.
influx
As part of a Physics experiment I have to investigate how the amplitude of a pendulum bob (attached to a string) varies with the number of oscillations it undergoes. The equation I have to work with is:

cvpv.png

(where t = the number of swings, A = amplitude after t swings, A0 = initial amplitude and k = the damping constant)

sssssqcq.png

Am I correct in saying that ln(A/A0) would be the label on the y-axis and t would be the label of the x-axis?

IF yes, this would suggest that at the y-intercept , ln(A/A0) = lnA0 which suggests that at the y-intercept (where t=0) A = (A0^2). Is this correct?

Lastly, I am required to find the uncertainty in k by sketching the above graph and using error bars. I am unsure of how to go about this?

Briefing sheet:

http://photouploads.com/images/dzvsv.png
(PS:in the above document, 'n' is used to represent the number of swings rather than 't')

Physics news on Phys.org
influx said:
As part of a Physics experiment I have to investigate how the amplitude of a pendulum bob (attached to a string) varies with the number of oscillations it undergoes. The equation I have to work with is: [##A(t)=A_0e^{-kt}##]
(where t = the number of swings, A = amplitude after t swings, A0 = initial amplitude and k = the damping constant)
... this would be a damped pendulum - not a simple pendulum.

[##\ln A = -kt + \ln A_0##]

Am I correct in saying that ln(A/A0) would be the label on the y-axis and t would be the label of the x-axis?
If you plot ##\ln (A/A_0)## vs ##t## then yes.
Presumably you want to get a straight line?
Did you try it and see what you get?

(Experiments are about dealing with the data you have and not about trying to conform to an expected result: do it and see.)

IF yes, this would suggest that at the y-intercept , ln(A/A0) = lnA0 which suggests that at the y-intercept (where t=0) A = (A0^2). Is this correct?
No.
Check your algebra. How does the RHS go from the ##\ln A## above to ##\ln (A/A_0)##?

You may be better to just plot ##\ln(A)## vs ##t## instead.

Lastly, I am required to find the uncertainty in k by sketching the above graph and using error bars. I am unsure of how to go about this?
You know the errors for the measurements you made - use them to calculate the errors on the numbers you are plotting.
(Hint: if the error in y is small compared to the error in x, you can eave it off.)

Your course will probably have a specific method they want you to use to convert error bars into an overall uncertainty - check your notes.

Simon Bridge said:
... this would be a damped pendulum - not a simple pendulum.

Ah sorry. That's what I meant :)!

Simon Bridge said:
If you plot ##\ln (A/A_0)## vs ##t## then yes.
Presumably you want to get a straight line?
Did you try it and see what you get?

(Experiments are about dealing with the data you have and not about trying to conform to an expected result: do it and see.)

Yes I want to get a straight line. I was thinking of plotting lnA against t but then the y-axis (lnA) would have units and I thought log graphs are not meant to have units? Hence why I decided to plot ##\ln (A/A_0)## vs ##t##.

Simon Bridge said:
No.
Check your algebra. How does the RHS go from the ##\ln A## above to ##\ln (A/A_0)##?

You may be better to just plot ##\ln(A)## vs ##t## instead.

Well this is what I did (I can't see what I wrong?):

SwoPKD2l.jpg

Thanks

when you change what you plot, you have to redo the y=mx+c step.
off y=mx+c, show me how you decided
y=
x=
m=
c=

... this is missing from your calculation pictured.

note: A/Ao is the size of A measured in units of Ao ... i.e. you still have units.
I don't think there is anything wrong with a log plot having units/dimensions on both axis, but it is tidier.

Yes, you are correct in saying that ln(A/A0) would be the label on the y-axis and t would be the label of the x-axis. This is because the natural logarithm of the ratio of the amplitude after t swings and the initial amplitude is a linear function of t.

Regarding your second question, your interpretation of the y-intercept is not entirely correct. At the y-intercept, ln(A/A0) = ln(A0/A0) = ln(1) = 0, which means that A/A0 = 1 or A = A0. This suggests that at the beginning of the experiment (t=0), the amplitude of the pendulum bob is equal to the initial amplitude.

To find the uncertainty in k, you can use the error bars on the graph to estimate the range of values for k that would still fall within the error bars. This range of values would represent the uncertainty in k. Alternatively, you can use the slope of the line (which is equal to -k) to calculate the uncertainty in k using the formula for propagation of uncertainties. This would involve finding the uncertainties in A/A0 and t, and then plugging them into the formula for the uncertainty in k.

Related to Simple Pendulum Amplitude Investigation: Graph and Uncertainty Analysis

1. What is a simple pendulum graph?

A simple pendulum graph is a graph that shows the relationship between the length of a pendulum and the time it takes to complete one full swing. It is a visual representation of the motion of a pendulum, which is affected by the length of the pendulum and the force of gravity.

2. How is a simple pendulum graph constructed?

A simple pendulum graph is constructed by plotting the length of the pendulum on the x-axis and the time to complete one full swing on the y-axis. The length of the pendulum is usually measured from the point of suspension to the center of the pendulum's mass. The time is measured using a stopwatch or other timing device.

3. What is the relationship between the length of a pendulum and the time it takes to complete one full swing?

The relationship between the length of a pendulum and the time it takes to complete one full swing is known as the period of the pendulum. It is directly proportional, meaning that as the length of the pendulum increases, the time it takes to complete one full swing also increases. This relationship is described by the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What factors affect the motion of a pendulum?

The motion of a pendulum is affected by several factors, including the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum, and the force of gravity. Other factors that can affect the motion of a pendulum include air resistance, the angle of release, and the type of material the pendulum is made of. These factors can all impact the period or frequency of the pendulum's swing.

5. What are the applications of a simple pendulum graph?

A simple pendulum graph has many applications in science and engineering. It is commonly used to measure the value of gravity in a specific location, as well as to study the laws of motion and oscillatory motion. Simple pendulum graphs can also be used to determine the length of a pendulum needed for a specific period, making them useful in the design of pendulum clocks and other time-keeping devices.