Simple Newtonian mechanics problem

In summary, the problem involves two blocks on an incline, with masses 2m and m, and a third block suspended through a pulley with mass M. The goal is to find M as a function of m, g, and \theta. The equations used in the attempt at a solution are Mg = 4ma + 3mg\cos\theta and a = \frac{g(M-3m\cos\theta)}{M+3m}. The solution was eventually found to be just a simple Newtonian mechanics problem, with the system in equilibrium.
Aikon

Homework Statement

It is the review problem on p.131 of Physics for scientists and engineers ( Serway, 4th edition).
It is the classical problem of 2 blocks in an incline(with angle [itex]\theta[/itex]) with masses 2m and m (in order from bottom to the top of the incline) and 1 block suspended trough a pulley with mass M.
He asks to find M and give the answer as function of m, g, [itex]\theta[/itex].

Homework Equations

I got to 2 equations, they are:
[itex]Mg =4ma+3mg\cos\theta[/itex]

and

[itex]a=\frac{g(M-3m\cos\theta)}{M+3m}[/itex]

I couldn't get to something that wasn't a form of M2+... and it get very strange.
Some tip?

The Attempt at a Solution

It is above.

Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably the blocks on the incline are connected to each other?

Is there some information in the problem statement regarding the type of motion expected? Otherwise, there doesn't appear to be any constraint on the the mass M.

gneill said:
Presumably the blocks on the incline are connected to each other?

Is there some information in the problem statement regarding the type of motion expected? Otherwise, there doesn't appear to be any constraint on the the mass M.

Thank you,

After i read your reply i went back to check the exercise and i noticed that the sistem is in equilibrium !
I need to be a little more attentive to the details.
it is really just a "simple Newtonian mechanics problem".

Related to Simple Newtonian mechanics problem

1. What is Newtonian mechanics?

Newtonian mechanics is a branch of classical mechanics that describes the motion of objects under the influence of forces. It is based on Newton's three laws of motion and is applicable to most everyday situations.

2. What is a simple Newtonian mechanics problem?

A simple Newtonian mechanics problem is one that involves the application of Newton's laws to solve for the motion of an object under the influence of forces. These problems typically involve calculating the acceleration, velocity, and position of an object.

3. What are the three laws of motion in Newtonian mechanics?

The three laws of motion in Newtonian mechanics are:
1. An object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.
2. The acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.
3. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

4. How do you solve a simple Newtonian mechanics problem?

To solve a simple Newtonian mechanics problem, you first identify the forces acting on the object and draw a free-body diagram. Then, you apply Newton's second law (F=ma) to calculate the net force and the acceleration. Finally, you use kinematic equations to solve for the velocity and position of the object at a given time.

5. What are some common examples of simple Newtonian mechanics problems?

Some common examples of simple Newtonian mechanics problems include:
- A ball rolling down a ramp
- A car accelerating from a stop
- A pendulum swinging back and forth
- A rocket launching into space
- A person jumping off a diving board
- A book sliding down a table
- A ball being thrown in the air