Simple Modules and Right Annihilator Ideals .... Bland, Proposition 6.1.7 ....

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modules
In summary, Proposition 6.1.7 states that for a ring R and its two-sided ideal M, if the Jacobson radical of R/M is equal to M, then M is a maximal two-sided ideal. The proof involves showing that if a is an element of the right annihilator of R/M, then a is also an element of M.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am focused on Section 6.1 The Jacobson Radical ... ...

I need help with the proof of Proposition 6.1.7 ... Proposition 6.1.7 and its proof read as follows:View attachment 6394
View attachment 6395
In the above text from Bland ... in the proof of (1) we read the following:" ... ... we see that \(\displaystyle \text{ann}_r( R / \mathfrak{m} ) = \text{ann}_r(S)\). But \(\displaystyle a \in \text{ann}_r( R / \mathfrak{m} )\) implies that \(\displaystyle a + \mathfrak{m} = ( 1 + \mathfrak{m} ) a = 0\) , so \(\displaystyle a \in \mathfrak{m}\). "Can someone please explain exactly why \(\displaystyle a \in \text{ann}_r( R / \mathfrak{m} )\) implies that \(\displaystyle a + \mathfrak{m} = ( 1 + \mathfrak{m} ) a = 0 \) ... ... ?

Can someone also explain how this then implies that \(\displaystyle a \in \mathfrak{m}\) ... ?Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Q2: If $I$ is a two-sided ideal in a ring $R$, than $R/I$ is also a ring,
with addition $(a+I)+(b+I)=(a+b)+I$,
and multiplication $(a+I)(b+I)=ab+I$.
The zero element of $R/I$ is $0+I=I$, because $(a+I) + (0+I) = (a+I)$.
We have $a+I=b+I \Leftrightarrow a-b \in I$,
so if $a+I=I=0+I$ then $a=a-0 \in I$, i.e., $a+I=\bar{0}$ then $a \in I$

Q1: Let $M$ be a maximal two-sided ideal in a ring $R$ (Bland only speaks of right ideals, but I think $M$ has to be a two-sided ideal in order to $R/M$ be a ring (is this English?)).

$ann_r(R/M) =$
$\{ x \in R \mbox{ } | \mbox{ } \forall \bar{y} \in R/M \mbox{ } \bar{y}x = \bar{0} \} = $
$\{ x \in R \mbox{ } | \mbox{ } \forall \bar{y} \in R/M \mbox{ } (y+M)x = \bar{0} \} $

$Ma = M$

$a \in ann_r(R/M)$ thus
$a+M= a+Ma = (1+M)a = \bar{0}$ thus $a \in M$

Related to Simple Modules and Right Annihilator Ideals .... Bland, Proposition 6.1.7 ....

1. What are simple modules?

Simple modules are modules that have no proper submodules. In other words, there are no nontrivial modules that can be factored out of a simple module. They are considered the "building blocks" of more complex modules.

2. What is the Right Annihilator Ideal of a module?

The Right Annihilator Ideal of a module is a subset of the ring that contains all elements that "annihilate" the module, meaning they map the module to the zero element. This ideal is denoted by Ann(M) and is a left ideal of the ring.

3. How is Bland, Proposition 6.1.7 used in the context of simple modules and Right Annihilator Ideals?

Bland, Proposition 6.1.7 states that for a right R-module M, the set of elements that annihilate M is a right ideal of R. This is useful in proving that the Right Annihilator Ideal of a simple module is a maximal right ideal of the ring.

4. Can simple modules have nontrivial submodules?

No, by definition, simple modules have no proper submodules. This means that they cannot be factored into smaller modules, making them the "simplest" form of a module.

5. How are simple modules related to the concept of irreducible modules?

Irreducible modules are a special case of simple modules, where they also have no proper submodules, but they are also indecomposable. This means that they cannot be written as a direct sum of two nontrivial submodules. In other words, they cannot be broken down any further. Simple modules, on the other hand, can be decomposed into smaller simple modules.