Simple Mechanical Design Program? (free?)

In summary: It's a pretty good value.In summary, the person is looking for a software that can help them test designs, preferably an inexpensive program. They suggest Solid Edge as an option.
JnWaco
Hi,

I'm designing a product using very very simple springs and gears and was wondering if there was a good software that can help test designs, preferably an inexpensive program.

The design itself is very simple, and I don't need full blown CAD or anything that stout just yet.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nevermind - I just drew it by hand - design is simple enough to test with prototypes.

JnWaco said:
Nevermind - I just drew it by hand - design is simple enough to test with prototypes.

Years and years ago (about a decade), I took mechanical drafting in high school (complete with old-skool(TM) drafting machines, exhortations to rotate the lead to maintain constant line thickness, and erasing shields).

To this day, I draw (admittedly simple) one-off mechanical / prototype drawings with H or 2H lead and dimensioning, and then just photocopy the drawing to give to the machine shop (which conveniently eliminates the gridding, increases the contrast, and prevents smudging / destruction of original).

Nice skill to have when you need something quick and dirty, and good way to work on the mental imaging / visualization abilities.

MATLABdude said:
Years and years ago (about a decade), I took mechanical drafting in high school (complete with old-skool(TM) drafting machines, exhortations to rotate the lead to maintain constant line thickness, and erasing shields).

To this day, I draw (admittedly simple) one-off mechanical / prototype drawings with H or 2H lead and dimensioning, and then just photocopy the drawing to give to the machine shop (which conveniently eliminates the gridding, increases the contrast, and prevents smudging / destruction of original).

Nice skill to have when you need something quick and dirty, and good way to work on the mental imaging / visualization abilities.

Yeah, I like to draw, and the concept I'm working on is super simple. I need to go read up on motor sizes, battery capacity, etc., now!

You might want to check Solid Edge for a Free 2D CAD program.

Related to Simple Mechanical Design Program? (free?)

1. How does the "Simple Mechanical Design Program" work?

The Simple Mechanical Design Program is a software that allows users to create and visualize simple mechanical designs. It uses a user-friendly interface and basic design principles to guide users through the process of creating their designs.

2. Is the "Simple Mechanical Design Program" free to use?

Yes, the Simple Mechanical Design Program is available for free. It is an open-source software that can be downloaded and used by anyone.

3. What types of mechanical designs can be created using this program?

The Simple Mechanical Design Program is primarily designed for creating simple mechanical designs such as gears, pulleys, and levers. However, it can also be used for creating more complex designs with the help of its advanced features.

4. Do I need any technical knowledge to use this program?

No, the Simple Mechanical Design Program is designed to be user-friendly and does not require any technical knowledge. However, some basic understanding of mechanical concepts and design principles may be helpful.

5. Can I share my designs created using this program with others?

Yes, the Simple Mechanical Design Program allows users to save and export their designs in various file formats, making it easy to share them with others. Users can also collaborate on designs by sharing the program with others.