Simple Kirchoff's loop problem

In summary, the question asks for the currents going through each resistor, and the given solutions by the professor are I1=-.0843, I2=.086, and I3=.0017. However, there may be an error in the professor's work as the values calculated by the student are I1=-8.461e(-4), I2=-.00392, and I3=-.00477, with units in amps. Further verification is needed to confirm the results.
mattwkeller

Homework Statement

Find the currents going through each resistor.
media%2F2d8%2F2d84bb09-154d-41ef-a5d7-cc0215f3ad3a%2FphpMrLurv.png

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
media%2Fb0d%2Fb0da98b6-e7ee-454a-8e9e-b6c40181f50e%2FphpYUlKvm.png
I have the problem worked out and I can't find any errors in my work. The issue is that my professor has:

I1=-.0843
I2=.086
I3=.0017

However my physics professor is notorious to make errors in class and right sloppily, so I don't entirely trust his solutions. Can you find any error in my work/confirm my results? Sorry about the picture being sideways.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, struggling getting the picture up...in the meantime my answers are:

I1=-8.461
I2=-.00392
I3=-.00477

image11_zps570405bb.jpg

Your answers are missing units, making it difficult to say whether they are numerically correct. You'd definitely lose marks though for not showing units.

Assuming your results are in Amps then I2 and I3 look to be correct numerically, but I1 is not... it's got the wrong order of magnitude. So check your calculation there.

Yes, sorry about that. They are in amps. I missed the scientific notation in my matrix. Should I1= -8.461e(-4)?

mattwkeller said:
Yes, sorry about that. They are in amps. I missed the scientific notation in my matrix. Should I1= -8.461e(-4)?
Yes, that's right.

Okay, thank you.

Related to Simple Kirchoff's loop problem

What is a Simple Kirchoff's loop problem?

A Simple Kirchoff's loop problem is a type of circuit analysis problem that involves applying Kirchoff's laws to a closed loop in a circuit. It is a common problem in the field of electrical engineering and can be used to determine the current, voltage, and power values at different points in the circuit.

What are Kirchoff's laws?

Kirchoff's laws are two principles that govern the behavior of electrical circuits. The first law, also known as Kirchoff's current law, states that the sum of currents entering a node in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving the node. The second law, known as Kirchoff's voltage law, states that the sum of voltage drops around a closed loop in a circuit must equal the sum of voltage sources in that loop.

How do you solve a Simple Kirchoff's loop problem?

To solve a Simple Kirchoff's loop problem, you must first identify all the elements in the circuit, such as resistors, voltage sources, and current sources. Then, apply Kirchoff's laws to write a set of equations that relate the currents and voltages in the circuit. Finally, solve these equations to find the values of interest, such as current or voltage at a specific point in the circuit.

What are some tips for solving Simple Kirchoff's loop problems?

One helpful tip for solving Simple Kirchoff's loop problems is to draw a clear and organized diagram of the circuit, labeling all the elements and nodes. It is also important to carefully apply Kirchoff's laws, keeping track of the direction and magnitude of currents and voltage drops. Additionally, checking your answers by using Ohm's law or other circuit analysis techniques can help ensure accuracy.

What are some real-world applications of Simple Kirchoff's loop problems?

Simple Kirchoff's loop problems have several real-world applications, including designing and analyzing electrical circuits, troubleshooting circuit malfunctions, and predicting the behavior of complex systems. They are also useful in industries such as electronics, telecommunications, and power systems, where understanding and manipulating circuit currents and voltages is crucial.