Simple kinematics problem: avg. acceleration if a car's going 12 m/s and accel

In summary, the problem involves finding the average acceleration of a car that travels at a constant speed of 12 m/s for an unspecified amount of time and then accelerates at a rate of 1.7 m/s^2 for 12 seconds. The solution involves using the equation v = vi + at to find the final velocity, and then calculating the average acceleration as (change in velocity)/time, where time is the total of the constant speed time and the 12 seconds of acceleration. The final answer for average speed is 22.2 m/s.
therest
A basic kinematics problem that I just can't get for some reason. I'm having trouble visualizing the graph.

Homework Statement

What's the average acceleration if a car's going 12 m/s constant speed, then accelerates for 12 seconds at 1.7 m/s^2 acceleration?
Variables: none?

Homework Equations

? I do not know. At all.

The Attempt at a Solution

I had graphed speed over time with the function as a horizontal line until it reached the origin, where it gained a slope of 1.7 because of the acceleration. I don't know if I'm visualizing the increase in speed correctly or if it would become an exponential curve. If this was the result, I don't know how I would then find average speed--total distance over time. Would I need to know calculus to figure this out? So this is where I'm stuck.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Missing information - it doesn't say how long it is going at constant speed.
You could use v = vi + at to find the final velocity.
The average acceleration would be a = (change in velocity)/time
where "time" would be the total of the constant speed time and the 12 seconds of acceleration.

Whoops! Yeah, I forgot to specify that the 12 s was the entire period... the time when it was going 12 m/s was not included in calculations except as a starting value, i.e. v(0).

I'm sorry, I did ending up figuring this out. It was just averaging 12 m/s with the speed after 12 s with acceleration, which was 32.4 m/sec - 1.7 m/s^2 times 12 seconds and plus 12 m/s initial speed - to get 22.2 m/sec.

Oh, and I put average acceleration instead of average speed. Well. I'm sorry, I was not being nice to you. :(

Related to Simple kinematics problem: avg. acceleration if a car's going 12 m/s and accel

1. What is the formula for average acceleration?

The formula for average acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is average acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. How do you calculate average acceleration if a car is going 12 m/s?

To calculate average acceleration, you need to know the initial velocity, final velocity, and time. In this case, the initial velocity is not given, so you cannot calculate the average acceleration.

3. What is the unit of measurement for average acceleration?

The unit of measurement for average acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s2).

4. What is the significance of average acceleration in kinematics?

Average acceleration is a measure of the rate at which the velocity of an object changes over time. It is an important concept in kinematics as it helps us understand how an object's motion changes over time.

5. How does average acceleration affect an object's motion?

The magnitude and direction of average acceleration can have a significant impact on an object's motion. A positive acceleration will cause an object to speed up, while a negative acceleration will cause it to slow down. The direction of acceleration also determines the direction in which the object will move.