Simple Introductory Problem that's giving me troubles

• Thread starter ChaseRLewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Introductory
In summary, the problem involves 1014 electrons being accelerated to 15MeV each and stopped in a copper block of mass 100g. The specific heat of copper is given as 0.09 cal/g K. Assuming all kinetic energy is transferred to heat and negligible mass increase, the calculation yields a temperature rise of 6.3 K, which matches the given solution. The discrepancy in the attempt at a solution was due to a typo in the number of electrons.
ChaseRLewis

Homework Statement

1-3 A burst of 1014 electrons accelerated to an energy of 15MeV per electron is stopped in a copper target block of mass 100g. If the block is thermally insulated, what is its temperature rise? The specific heat of copper is 0.09 cal/g K

Homework Equations

m*Cp*dT = dQ

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume 100% of KE transfer to heat.
Negligible mass increase.

(100g)*(.09 cal/g K) dT = 1014 electrons * 15 MeV/electron * 2.6144*10^(-13) cal/MeV

The solution is supposed to be 6.3 K but what I have above isn't even remotely close (way too small). I'm trying to guide myself through a special relativity book and given this is was the only problem in the beginning I couldn't get to matchup I feel a bit awkward posting it because it seems so simple : /.

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably a typo? If you take the number of electrons as 1014 and divide by 2.6.. instead of multiplying (you did a calculation mistake, it seems), the answer comes out to be ~6.3 K.

Sourabh N said:
Probably a typo? If you take the number of electrons as 1014 and divide by 2.6.. instead of multiplying (you did a calculation mistake, it seems), the answer comes out to be ~6.3 K.

Ah thanks it was the 10^14 rather than 1014 : / got to get used to these ebook prints.

Related to Simple Introductory Problem that's giving me troubles

1. What is the problem statement?

The Simple Introductory Problem is a basic problem that serves as an introduction to a particular subject or concept. It usually involves a straightforward question or scenario that requires a solution or explanation.

2. Why is this problem giving me troubles?

The Simple Introductory Problem may be giving you troubles because it requires you to apply your knowledge and understanding of the subject in order to find a solution. It may also be because the problem is designed to challenge your critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities.

3. How should I approach this problem?

The best way to approach the Simple Introductory Problem is to carefully read and understand the problem statement. Then, break the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and try to find a solution for each part. You can also try using different problem-solving strategies or seeking help from others.

4. Can I use any resources to solve this problem?

Yes, you can use any resources that are relevant to the subject or concept being tested in the Simple Introductory Problem. This may include textbooks, online articles, or even consulting with your peers or instructors.

5. What can I learn from solving this problem?

Solving the Simple Introductory Problem can help you develop your critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and understanding of the subject or concept being tested. It can also serve as a foundation for solving more complex problems in the future.