Simple Integral: Complex exp -> delta function

In summary: I think the easy way to do this is to notice that the integral is the Fourier transform of the function f(k) = e^{ikx}.So the integral of e^{ikx} is the inverse Fourier transform of the delta function.In summary, the integral in question is the Fourier transform of the function e^{ikx}, which is equal to the inverse Fourier transform of the delta function. This is why the (2pi)^3 and delta function appear in the equation.
Livethefire
Simple Integral: Complex exp --> delta function

My Professor has written this down but I'm having some trouble of precisely where this is coming from:

[tex] \int\psi^*_{f}(\boldsymbol k')\psi_{f}(\boldsymbol k) d^3\boldsymbol r = (2\pi)^3\delta(\boldsymbol k- \boldsymbol k') [/tex]

where

[tex] \psi_{f} = e^{i\boldsymbol k\centerdot \boldsymbol r} [/tex] (Plane wave)

I understand that in general (due to orthogonality) we have:

[tex] < \psi_{m} \vert \psi_{n} > =\delta_{mn} [/tex]

and also that a symmetrical integral about a complex exponential yields a sinc function. Qualitatively in the limit that the boundaries become infinite the sinc function becomes a delta function.

What is confusing me here is where are the pi's coming from?
Is there any explicit way to calculate this? Maybe using a spherical coordinate volume element or is there an easier way?

N.B. This calculation pertains to the calculation of density of states (note the f's on the wavefunctions). I know pi's crop up here and there in those types of equations but I can't seem to piece this together.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

it comes from the definition of the delta function ;)

There is a lot abut that in Arfken-Weber

Last edited by a moderator:

I would just look at the one-dimensional integral,

[tex]\int e^{i(k-k')r} \; dr[/tex]

The way to attack this is to put in a small piece to make it converge:

[tex]\int e^{i(k-k')r - \varepsilon r^2} \; dr[/tex]

Do that integral, and then take the limit as [itex]\varepsilon \rightarrow 0[/itex].

The limits on the integral are surely -infinity to infinity for all space, but that poses problems also.

Regardless, indefinite :

[tex] \int e^{i(k-k')r-\epsilon r^2} dr [/tex]
[tex] \lim_{\substack{\epsilon \rightarrow 0}} \frac{e^{i(k-k')r-\epsilon r^2}}{i(k-k')-2\epsilon r} + C[/tex]
[tex]\frac{e^{i(k-k')r}}{i(k-k')} + C[/tex]

Any pushes in the right direction?

It's a definite integral. Let's set k' to zero for simplicity. You want to compute
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}dx\;e^{ikx-\epsilon x^2}[/tex]
This is a so-called "gaussian integral". Can you evaluate it?

Wow that was bad maths in #5. I just woke up and saw it was clearly wrong - must have been tired. Is there any "clear" way to explain why that methodology doesn't work other than: differentiating the result is a quotient (ultimately due to the fact the function isn't linear) and thus more terms will appear- therefore it is wrong?

As for the gaussian integral, I know the standard gaussian integral is root pi. That integration is giving me trouble, I know some of that "standard results".

Incidently I came across this concept in Landau and Lifshiz Vol. 3. I understand conceptually where the (2pi)^3 and delta are coming from but I still can't evaluate it for myself.

Last edited:

One standard result is from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_of_a_Gaussian_function"

yielding

[tex] \frac{\sqrt \pi }{\sqrt \epsilon } \exp \left ( \frac{-k^2}{4\epsilon} \right ) [/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:

These Gaussian integrals are quite a good way to motivate the result, so make sure you can do it to see 'why' it should be true. (There are, incidentally, numerous other ways you could modify the integral to make it converge, all of which should lead to the right sort of thing).

But the only 'proper' way of doing it is to consider what happens when you multiply by an arbitrary (sufficiently 'nice') function f(k) and integrate over all k. Then you exchange the order of integration and should recognise the Fourier transform and its inverse.

A very nice book on the subject is

M. J. Lighthill, Introduction to Fourier Analysis and Generalized Functions, Cam. Uni. Press 1958

Related to Simple Integral: Complex exp -> delta function

1. What is a "Simple Integral"?

A Simple Integral is an integral that can be solved using basic integration techniques, such as the power rule or substitution. It does not involve complex functions or advanced techniques.

2. What is a "Complex exp"?

A Complex exp is a complex exponential function, which is a function of the form f(x) = e^(ax + bi), where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. It is a fundamental function in complex analysis and is often used to represent oscillatory or decaying behavior in mathematical models.

3. What is a delta function?

A delta function, denoted as δ(x), is a mathematical function that is zero everywhere except at a specific point, where it is infinite. It is often used to represent a point mass or impulse in physics and engineering, and is also commonly used as a distribution to model certain phenomena in mathematics.

4. How is a complex exp related to a delta function in a simple integral?

In a simple integral, a complex exp can be integrated using basic techniques to obtain a delta function. This is because the integral of a complex exponential function results in a delta function with a coefficient that depends on the parameters of the function. This relationship is known as the Fourier transform, and it is used to convert functions in the time domain to functions in the frequency domain.

5. What are some applications of the simple integral: complex exp -> delta function?

The simple integral: complex exp -> delta function is commonly used in physics, engineering, and mathematics to solve problems involving oscillatory or decaying behavior. It is also used in signal processing to analyze and filter signals, and in quantum mechanics to calculate probabilities and expectation values. Additionally, it has applications in probability theory, statistics, and other fields of mathematics.