Simple Ideal Gas Law but i keep getting it wrong

In summary, the problem involves finding the volume (V) given the pressure (P), number of moles (n), gas constant (R), and temperature (T). After converting P to Pa, plugging in the values, and using the equation PV=nRT, the answer is in m^3 and needs to be converted to liters. Remember that 1 L = 1 dm^3. The correct answer is V=0.027 L.
acg7160

Homework Statement

P=1.5 atm; n=2 mols, R=8.314; T=250 K; V=?

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
i converted p into Pa and got 151987.5 Pa.

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in all of the numbers and got V=0.027 L but it keeps saying my answer is wrong. It says answer for 2 sig figs. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
your answer is in [itex]m^{3}[/itex]. You need to convert to liters. Hint:

[tex]
1 \, \mathrm{L} = 1 \, \mathrm{dm}^{3}
[/tex]

acg7160 said:
I plugged in all of the numbers and got V=0.027 L but it keeps saying my answer is wrong. It says answer for 2 sig figs. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Help please?
I think something went wrong with your conversion from m3 to liters. There are 1000 liters in a m3 (not 1 000 000 -- that would be ml per m3). :wink:

[Edit: Oops, I see Dickfore beat me to the answer.]

Thanks I got it right!

As a scientist, it is important to carefully review your calculations and ensure that you are using the correct units and significant figures. In this case, it seems like you may have made a mistake in converting the pressure from atm to Pa. It should be 151,987.5 Pa, not 151,987,500 Pa. Additionally, make sure to round your final answer according to the given significant figures, which in this case would be 0.03 L. If you continue to have trouble, double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct values for R and T. Remember, the ideal gas law is a fundamental equation in chemistry and it is important to understand and use it accurately.

Related to Simple Ideal Gas Law but i keep getting it wrong

1. What is the Simple Ideal Gas Law and how is it used?

The Simple Ideal Gas Law, also known as the Ideal Gas Law or the General Gas Equation, is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of a gas. It is commonly used to calculate the unknown variable in a gas system, given the values of the other variables.

2. What are the variables in the Simple Ideal Gas Law and how are they related?

The variables in the Simple Ideal Gas Law are pressure (P), volume (V), temperature (T), and amount of gas (n). The law states that the product of pressure and volume is directly proportional to the product of the amount of gas and temperature, or mathematically: PV = nRT, where R is the ideal gas constant.

3. What is the difference between an ideal gas and a real gas?

An ideal gas is a hypothetical gas that follows the Simple Ideal Gas Law perfectly under all conditions. It has no volume, no intermolecular forces, and its particles do not occupy space. A real gas, on the other hand, does not always follow the Simple Ideal Gas Law due to factors such as intermolecular forces and the finite size of gas particles.

4. Why might I be getting incorrect results when using the Simple Ideal Gas Law?

There are a few possible reasons why you might be getting incorrect results when using the Simple Ideal Gas Law. One reason could be that you are using the wrong units of measurement, as the law requires the use of absolute temperature (Kelvin) and pressure (Pascal). Another reason could be that the gas you are using is not behaving as an ideal gas, in which case you may need to use a different gas law or make adjustments for non-ideal behavior.

5. Can the Simple Ideal Gas Law be applied to any gas system?

The Simple Ideal Gas Law can be applied to most gas systems, but there are some limitations. It works best for gases at low pressures and high temperatures, as these conditions minimize the effects of intermolecular forces and the finite size of gas particles. At high pressures and low temperatures, the gas may deviate from ideal behavior and the law may not give accurate results.