Simple Harmonics and also some pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems, one involving a simple harmonic oscillator and the other involving the force on a door due to pressure difference. The equations used for the problems are x=A/√2 and p=F/A, and the use of the hint v=dx/dt for x=Acoswt is mentioned. The solutions for the two problems are also provided.
2Big2Bite

Homework Statement

Hi

I have two problems i need to solve mainly 1, but i need to check if 2a and 2b is correct
here it is:

1. A simple harmonics oscillator has an amplitude of 0,1m.At what displacement will its kinetic and potential energies be equal
  2. a) What is the force due to the atmosphere on one side of door of area 2m2?
    b) If the difference in pressure on the two sides of a closed door of area 2m2 is 0,01 atm, what is the net force on the door? Do you think you could open it by hand?

Homework Equations

in first problem i though of using x=A/√2 where A is the amplitude but i have no idea how to solve this in any way other.

In the two other problems i though of using p=F/A and then in last problem find the difference with F1-F2

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Though trying putting the x=A/√2 = 0,07 but I am not sure this is correct really since i just tried googling around for the answer and looking in the book.
Since our teacher give us this hint: v = dx/dt for x = Acoswt but idk how to use this.

2a) First i found F=P*A = 101300 Pa * 22 = 405200N

b) First i found the force F=P*A = 101300 Pa*0,99*2m2 = 401148 N

where the difference is F1-F2 = 405300-401148 = 4052N which would make it quite hard to try open the door

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the velocity, what the kinetic energy? If you know the kinetic energy of an oscillator, what is its potential energy. Hint: KE + PE = const.

Related to Simple Harmonics and also some pressure

What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This results in a sinusoidal (or wave-like) motion.

What is the formula for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The formula for SHM is x = A sin(ωt + δ), where x is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, t is time, and δ is the phase constant.

What is the relationship between Simple Harmonic Motion and pressure?

Simple Harmonic Motion can be used to describe the behavior of pressure in a confined space. When a system undergoes SHM, the pressure oscillates with the same frequency and amplitude as the displacement.

How does Simple Harmonic Motion affect sound waves?

Sound waves are a type of SHM, where the disturbance is a longitudinal wave that travels through a medium. The oscillation of air particles creates areas of high and low pressure, resulting in the sound we hear.

What are some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion?

Some common examples of SHM include the motion of a pendulum, the movement of a spring in a mass-spring system, and the vibrations of a guitar string. Other examples include the motion of a swing, the bobbing of a buoy in the ocean, and the oscillation of a tuning fork.