Simple Harmonic Oscillator: Mass Spring System

In summary, a simple harmonic oscillator with a mass of 2.00 kg and a spring constant of 100 N/m has a position of 0.129 m and a velocity of 3.415 m/s when t = 1.00 s. To determine the amplitude of the oscillations, an energy approach can be used by dividing the velocity by the position. This cancels out the amplitude and leaves only one unknown, which can be solved for. At t = 0 s, the position and velocity of the block were unknown. The angular velocity of the oscillator was found to be 7.07 rad/s by plugging in the values for k and m into the equation ω = √(k/m).
Dusty912

Homework Statement

[/B]A simple harmonic oscillator consists of a block of mass 2.00 kg attached to a spring of spring constant 100 N/m.When t =1.00 s, the position and velocity of the block are x =0.129 m and v =3.415 m/s. (a) What is the amplitude of the oscillations? What were the (b) position and (c) velocity of the block at t 0 s?

Homework Equations

x(t)=X*cos(ωt+Φ)
v(t)=-ω*X*sin(ωt+Φ)
ω=sqrt(k/M)

The Attempt at a Solution

so finding the angular velocity was easy. Just plugging in the values for k and m yielded 7.07rad/s
i lost on where to go next. I think my understanding of the phase and Φ is a little weak. I was to just use the equation for displace meant and velocity, make Φ zero and plug in the other values, but I am prety sure that is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
For (a) you might want to consider an energy approach. :wink:

Note what happens if you divide v by x (using the formulas that you provided).
The amplitude cancels and you are left with only one unknown (phi).
Then the rest of the problem should be straightforward.

1. What is a simple harmonic oscillator?

A simple harmonic oscillator is a system that exhibits periodic motion, where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. It is often represented by a mass attached to a spring.

2. How does a mass spring system work?

In a mass spring system, the spring provides a restoring force that pulls the mass back towards its equilibrium position when it is displaced. The mass then oscillates back and forth around this equilibrium point, creating periodic motion.

3. What is the equation for a simple harmonic oscillator?

The equation for a simple harmonic oscillator is F = -kx, where F is the restoring force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from equilibrium. This equation is derived from Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement.

4. What factors affect the frequency of a mass spring system?

The frequency of a mass spring system is affected by the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, and the amplitude of the oscillations. The frequency is also inversely proportional to the mass and directly proportional to the square root of the spring constant.

5. How is a mass spring system used in real life?

Mass spring systems are commonly used in many real-life applications, such as car suspensions, musical instruments, and pendulum clocks. They are also used in engineering and physics experiments to model and study various types of oscillations and vibrations.