Simple Harmonic Oscillation with given equation

In summary: DIn summary, a massive object of 5.2 kg oscillates with simple harmonic motion, with its position as a function of time given by x(t) = 1.6sin(∏t/1.6 + ∏/6). At t = 0s, its position is 0.8 m, velocity is 2.72 m/s, and acceleration is -3.08 m/s^2. The kinetic energy of the object is 2.6∏^2cos^2[(∏t / 1.6) + (∏/6)], and the first time after t=0s that the kinetic energy is
kgal

Homework Statement

A massive object of m = 5.2 kg oscillates with simple harmonic motion. Its position as a function of time varies according to the equation x(t) = 1.6sin(∏t/1.6 + ∏/6).
a. What is the position, velocity and acceleration of the object at t = 0s?
b. What is the kinetic energy of the object as a function of time?
c. At what time after t=0s is the kinetic energy first at a maximum?

Homework Equations

x(t) = 1.6sin(∏t/1.6 + ∏/6).

The Attempt at a Solution

a. x(0) = 1.6sin(0 + ∏/6) = 0.8 m
v(0) = ∏cos[(∏t / 1.6) + (∏/6)] = ∏cos(∏/6) = 2.72 m/s
a(0) = - (∏^2 / 1.6) sin [(∏t / 1.6) + (∏/6)] = - 5.33 m/s^2 (the right answer should be -3.08 m/s^2)!

b. K(t) = 1/2mv(t)^2 = 1/2m{[∏cos[(∏t / 1.6) + (∏/6)]}^2 //plugged v from part a
2.6∏^2cos^2[(∏t / 1.6) + (∏/6)]

c. K' = -100sin[(∏t / 1.6) + (∏/6)]cos[(∏t / 1.6) + (∏/6)].
K'(t) = 0 at t = .26 s (But the right answer should be 1.33 s)!

Physics news on Phys.org
kgal said:

Homework Statement

A massive object of m = 5.2 kg oscillates with simple harmonic motion. Its position as a function of time varies according to the equation x(t) = 1.6sin(∏t/1.6 + ∏/6).
a. What is the position, velocity and acceleration of the object at t = 0s?
b. What is the kinetic energy of the object as a function of time?
c. At what time after t=0s is the kinetic energy first at a maximum?

Homework Equations

x(t) = 1.6sin(∏t/1.6 + ∏/6).

The Attempt at a Solution

a. x(0) = 1.6sin(0 + ∏/6) = 0.8 m
v(0) = ∏cos[(∏t / 1.6) + (∏/6)] = ∏cos(∏/6) = 2.72 m/s
a(0) = - (∏^2 / 1.6) sin [(∏t / 1.6) + (∏/6)] = - 5.33 m/s^2 (the right answer should be -3.08 m/s^2)!

Remember that sin(π/6) = 1/2 NOT √3/2! :biggrin:

kgal said:
b. K(t) = 1/2mv(t)^2 = 1/2m{[∏cos[(∏t / 1.6) + (∏/6)]}^2 //plugged v from part a
2.6∏^2cos^2[(∏t / 1.6) + (∏/6)]

c. K' = -100sin[(∏t / 1.6) + (∏/6)]cos[(∏t / 1.6) + (∏/6)].
K'(t) = 0 at t = .26 s (But the right answer should be 1.33 s)!

Homework Statement

For part c), it's much easier to use a double-angle formula for cosine to express the KE as a power-one expression of a single cosine term plus a constant, then use the periodicity of the cosine function to find where the KE is next at a maximum.

I didn't check your differentiation thoroughly, but remember that if you use differentiation and set the derivative to 0 (in which case either that sine term is zero OR the cosine term is zero), you get both local minima and local maxima, so you need to figure out which is which. A little tedious.

Last edited:
*for b. Duh! thanks :)

*for c. I set 3pi/2 = pit/1.6 + pi/6 (cos function) and got t = 2.13 s, which is larger than the t i got when i set pit/1.6 + pi/6 = 0 (sin function), but I still somehow missed the target t = 1.33 s, just don't know where i went wrong...

kgal said:
*for b. Duh! thanks :)

*for c. I set 3pi/2 = pit/1.6 + pi/6 (cos function) and got t = 2.13 s, which is larger than the t i got when i set pit/1.6 + pi/6 = 0 (sin function), but I still somehow missed the target t = 1.33 s, just don't know where i went wrong...

Remember that sin 0 = sin π = sin 2π = 0. :wink:

When you use the '0' you get a negative time. So try the next one.

By right you should consider the cosine part too. In that case, cos π/2 = cos 3π/2 = 0.

But the sine term holds the answer here.

You really have to check to make sure the KE is a minimum at that point. That involves either calculating the second derivative, or curve sketching. Tedious, tedious.

This is why I suggested an alternative method which really is a lot easier.

Thanks alot

Related to Simple Harmonic Oscillation with given equation

1. What is a simple harmonic oscillator?

A simple harmonic oscillator is a type of motion that occurs when an object is subjected to a restoring force that is proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. This results in a repeating pattern of back-and-forth motion around the equilibrium point.

2. What is the equation for a simple harmonic oscillator?

The equation for a simple harmonic oscillator is x = A*cos(ωt + φ), where x represents the displacement of the object, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant.

3. How does the amplitude affect a simple harmonic oscillator?

The amplitude of a simple harmonic oscillator is the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. A larger amplitude results in a wider range of motion, while a smaller amplitude results in a smaller range of motion.

4. What is the relationship between the angular frequency and period of a simple harmonic oscillator?

The angular frequency is directly proportional to the period of a simple harmonic oscillator. The period is the time it takes for the object to complete one full cycle of motion, and it is equal to T = 2π/ω.

5. What is the phase constant in the equation for a simple harmonic oscillator?

The phase constant, represented by φ, is a constant value that determines the starting position of the object in its oscillatory motion. It represents the initial displacement of the object at time t = 0.