Simple Harmonic Oscillation Problem

In summary, the conversation is about finding the first time after t=0.00s at which the velocity of an object in simple harmonic motion is -0.149m/s. The student has attempted to solve the problem but has encountered difficulties and is seeking further help. Some suggestions are given, such as changing the argument of the sine function by 2pi and using a graphing calculator to plot the function for better understanding. The possibility of changing the phase constant to -pi is also mentioned.
GarrettB

Homework Statement

The velocity of an object in simple harmonic motion is given by v(t)= -(4.04m/s)sin(21.0t + 1.00π), where t is in seconds. What is the first time after t=0.00 s at which the velocity is -0.149m/s?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought this was an easy question but there must be a flaw somewhere in my logic. I've tried -0.149=-4.04*sin(21t+pi). However, solving for t gives me a negative number. I've also tried doing using cos instead of sin to get rid of the phase constant, but still the wrong answer. It's given me aprrox. 0.07s. Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
A couple of suggestions.
If you change the argument of sin by 2Pi what happens.
You might also use a graphing calculator to plot the function to get some insight as to what is going on.

Nothing happens if you change it by 2Pi? Since that's one full cycle. But this is 1pi?

You probably found the sin^-1 of .149/4.04 and that gave you a negative t. Could you change the 1pi to -p1 and resolve?

Of course you can, because its a cycle. Appreciate the insight.

Related to Simple Harmonic Oscillation Problem

1. What is a simple harmonic oscillator?

A simple harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits periodic motion, where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position and acts in the opposite direction of the displacement.

2. What is the equation for simple harmonic motion?

The equation for simple harmonic motion is given by x = A sin(ωt + ϕ), where x is the displacement, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and ϕ is the phase angle.

3. How do you calculate the period and frequency of a simple harmonic oscillator?

The period of a simple harmonic oscillator is the time it takes to complete one full cycle of motion and is given by T = 2π/ω, where ω is the angular frequency. The frequency of a simple harmonic oscillator is the number of cycles per unit time and is given by f = 1/T = ω/2π.

4. What is the relationship between the mass and spring constant in a simple harmonic oscillator?

The period of a simple harmonic oscillator is directly proportional to the square root of the mass and inversely proportional to the square root of the spring constant, expressed as T ∝ √(m/k). This means that a larger mass or a smaller spring constant will result in a longer period of oscillation.

5. How does energy change in a simple harmonic oscillator?

In a simple harmonic oscillator, the total mechanical energy is constant and is divided between kinetic energy (energy of motion) and potential energy (energy stored in the spring). As the oscillator moves, the energy is constantly shifting between these two forms, but the total amount remains the same.