Simple Harmonic Motion Test Question

In summary, the mass oscillates between equilibrium at 20 cm and 60 cm from the spring, and the displacement is used to solve other questions.
Jackel
I've been set this question by my tutor and I'm having difficulty doing it.

A mass of 2 kg is hung from the lower end of a vertical spring and extends it by 40 cm. The mass is now pulled down a further 20 cm and is then released from rest so that it oscillates about the equilibrium position. Determine :

a) the spring stiffness constant k for the spring.
b) the time period of the oscillations.
c) the speed and acceleration of the mass when it is 15 cm from the equilibrium position.
d ) the maximum speed and maximum kinetic energy of the mass.
e) the maximum accelerating force on the mass.

I'm struggling with it as I don't really understand how to find the K. Is the displacement 20? Or would it be 60? I think K is, F/x, x being the displacement?

If someone could please explain it to me I would be very grateful. I've been out of education for some time so I'm finding some things hard to get my head around.

Physics news on Phys.org
The distance that you would use in your k calculation is the distance which the spring has moved from equilibrium. Dont forget to multiply the weight by 9.8 to find the force in Newtons

Right so for K I have, 981.

F = M.A, 2kg x 9.81 = 19620 N

K = F/x, 19620/20 = 981.

Is that right?

Last edited:
Well let me put it this way. If the spring is hanging and has no weight on it, then wouldn't it be in equilibrium?

Oh, so equilibrium would be 0cm? As the weight pulls it out of equilibrium, so then the displacement would be 60cm?

Last edited:
Close, but I think that you are to assume that work from outside the mass/spring system is pulling the weight down that last 20 cm... This displacement will most likely set the spring into an oscillatory motion.

Right, so the equilibrium position is 0 and the displacement is 40? So the extra 20cm is used to solve the other questions? It's not used in the string stiffness question?

I think I'm starting to confuse myself now, lol.

ozone said:
Well let me put it this way. If the spring is hanging and has no weight on it, then wouldn't it be in equilibrium?

I beg to differ with your implications.

The equilibrium position is clearly where the mass would be if not oscillating - ie with the spring extended 40cm.
Why didn't you take the equilibrium position to be when the spring was in the drawer, in the store-room, with all the other springs?

The weight of the mass extends the spring by 40 cm to create that equilibrium position.

Some one/thing THEN extends the spring a further 20cm, from where the mass oscillates.

While oscillating, it will move between extension 20cm and extension 60cm [ie either side of the equilbrium position 40cm-extension]

If you take the equilibrium position as extension zero, it it is very difficult to find "the speed and acceleration of the mass when it is 15 cm from the equilibrium position." as it would never gets to a position 15cm from zero.
It does of course pass through a couple of points 15cm from the 40cm equilibrium position.

Jackel said:
Right, so the equilibrium position is 0 and the displacement is 40? So the extra 20cm is used to solve the other questions? It's not used in the string stiffness question?

I think I'm starting to confuse myself now, lol.

I am not surprised - read my previous post.

1) kx=mg where x=40 cm.
2) time period wud be 2pi(m/k)^1/2
3) equilibrium position wud be wher kx=mg. i.e. 40 cm. n all the other parts cn be solved by using energy conservation.

PeterO said:
I am not surprised - read my previous post.

Yeah, that makes more sense. Thanks!

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion Test Question

What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium position, following a path that is symmetric about the equilibrium point. This motion is characterized by a constant amplitude and a constant period.

What are the key factors that determine the characteristics of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The key factors that determine the characteristics of Simple Harmonic Motion are the mass of the object, the spring constant of the spring, and the amplitude of the motion. These factors can be used to calculate the frequency, period, and maximum velocity of the oscillating object.

How is Simple Harmonic Motion different from other types of motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is different from other types of motion in that it is a type of periodic motion that follows a specific pattern, rather than a random or chaotic motion. It also has a constant amplitude and period, unlike other types of motion that may vary in amplitude and period.

What are some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion?

Some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion include a mass attached to a spring, a pendulum, a vibrating guitar string, and a swinging child on a swing. These objects all exhibit oscillatory motion around an equilibrium point.

How is Simple Harmonic Motion used in science and engineering?

Simple Harmonic Motion is used in science and engineering to model and understand the behavior of various systems. It is used in fields such as physics, mechanical engineering, and electrical engineering to analyze and design systems that exhibit SHM, such as springs, pendulums, and electrical circuits.