Simple Harmonic Motion Solving for the phase and applying it.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with solving a simple harmonic oscillator and finding the amplitude, position, and velocity at different times. The correct formulas for position and velocity are given, and the conversation includes discussions about finding the phase constant and solving for all the unknown quantities. The final solution for the amplitude is approximately 0.400912 meters and the phase constant is approximately -1.25897 radians.
Wm_Davies

Homework Statement

I am having a hard time solving this problem and this is my last chance to solve it before it is due and I have to do this for a test tomorrow.

A simple harmonic oscillator consists of a block of mass 3.90 kg attached to a spring of spring constant 330 N/m. When t = 0.570 s, the position and velocity of the block are x = 0.123 m and v = 3.510 m/s. (a) What is the amplitude of the oscillations? What were the (b) position and (c) velocity of the block at t = 0 s?

Homework Equations

[tex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/tex]
[tex]x=x_{m}cos(\omega t + \phi)[/tex]
[tex]v=-\omega x_{m}cos(\omega t + \phi)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I tried to solve for the phase constant by dividing the velocity function by the position function.

This gave me the result of [tex]\phi=tan^{-1}(\frac{v}{x \omega})[/tex]

I plugged in [tex]\phi[/tex] to both the position functions and my answers are wrong. So I am not sure as to what I need to do or why.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your expression for v should be v=-ωxmsin(ωt+φ)

Also consider what v/x gives and then substitute the conditions to get φ.

Yes the formula for velocity was wrong. I divided the two which is how I got [tex]\phi[/tex] is inverse tangen times v divided by the quantity of position times the angular frequency. I must be doing something right because I am able to solve for the amplitude of the function, but I cannot get the position at t=0 and the velocity at t=0.

Wm_Davies said:
Yes the formula for velocity was wrong. I divided the two which is how I got [tex]\phi[/tex] is inverse tangen times v divided by the quantity of position times the angular frequency. I must be doing something right because I am able to solve for the amplitude of the function, but I cannot get the position at t=0 and the velocity at t=0.

Could you please post your work on how you found all of your answers?

[tex]x=x_{m}cos(\omega t + \phi)[/tex]
[tex]v=-\omega x_{m}sin(\omega t + \phi)[/tex]

So I divided these two functions which gave me the result of...

[tex]\omega t + \phi = tan^{-1}(\frac{v}{-x \omega})[/tex]

Since this is equal to all of the stuff in the position function and the velocity function I put it into the those functions after solving for the amplitude. This cannot lead to a correct answer because the velocity and position in the above mentioned expression are not at time = 0,

P.S. I solved for the amplitude by dividing x at t=.570s by the [tex]cos(\omega t + \phi)[/tex]

which came to... approximately 0.400912 meters

What did you get for φ?

For [tex]\phi[/tex] I got approximately... 0.240112 radians

Recheck it, I get -1.25 radians.

Yes I get -1.25897 radians when I solve for [tex]\omega t + \phi[/tex]

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion Solving for the phase and applying it.

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where an object oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point due to a restoring force.

How do you solve for the phase in simple harmonic motion?

The phase in simple harmonic motion can be solved for by using the equation x(t) = A*sin(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle. The phase angle can be found by setting the initial conditions of the motion, such as the initial position and velocity.

What is the significance of the phase in simple harmonic motion?

The phase in simple harmonic motion represents the position of the object at a given time within its oscillation cycle. It is used to determine the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of the object at any point in time.

How can the phase be applied in real-world situations?

The concept of phase in simple harmonic motion can be applied in a variety of real-world situations, such as modeling the motion of a pendulum or a mass-spring system. It can also be used in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to analyze and predict the behavior of systems that exhibit harmonic motion.

What are some common examples of simple harmonic motion?

Some common examples of simple harmonic motion include the motion of a swinging pendulum, the vibration of a guitar string, and the motion of a mass-spring system. Other examples can include the motion of a child on a swing or the motion of a bobber on a fishing line.