Simple Harmonic Motion - seemingly easy yet

In summary, x = (2.0 m) cos[(2pi rad/s)t + pi/2 rad] gives the simple harmonic motion of a body. At t = 4.0 s, the displacement is ____m.
Shadow Cloud
The function x = (2.0 m) cos[(2pi rad/s)t + pi/2 rad] gives the simple harmonic motion of a body. Find the following values at t = 4.0 s.
(a) the displacement: ____m
Correct me if I am wrong, but to get x all I have to do is just plug 4.0 s in for t in that equation mentioned above right? I set my calculator to radians and did what I just said and get 6E^-13, but for some reason webassign (website where I answer the problem at) says I'm wrong. What gives?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shadow Cloud said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but to get x all I have to do is just plug 4.0 s in for t in that equation mentioned above right?
That's all there is to it.
I set my calculator to radians and did what I just said and get 6E^-13, but for some reason webassign (website where I answer the problem at) says I'm wrong.
You made a mistake. What angle (in radians) are you taking the cosine of?

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot to include the pi in the equation.

So I assume you corrected your mistake?

Oh I haven't, I just forgot to include it when I posted the problem. I still do not understand why I am not getting the right answer when all I have to do is plug in 4.0 for T.

I think if you just take a look at the trigonometric function itself, it should be no surprise to you that any integer value of t will result in the cosine function returning 0.

Shadow Cloud said:
I still do not understand why I am not getting the right answer when all I have to do is plug in 4.0 for T.
mezarashi explained it, but your real mistake is using a calculator to solve this. :smile: If you just looked at the equation, you'd see that plugging in T = 4 sec gives you an angle of pi/2 radians. What's the cosine of pi/2 radians (or 90 degrees)? (Note that 8 1/2 pi radians is equivalent to pi/2 radians since the trig functions are periodic over 2 pi radians.)

Your calculator answer was "correct": 6E^-13 is pretty close to zero! (Round it off.)

Last edited:
And pi/2 for cos is 0...yes you're right, the calculator did mess me up in this case. Thank you for the help.

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion - seemingly easy yet

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) refers to the repetitive motion of an object back and forth around a central equilibrium point due to a restoring force.

2. What are the characteristics of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The characteristics of SHM include a constant period (time for one complete cycle), a sinusoidal or wave-like motion, and a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point.

3. What is the formula for calculating the period of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The period of SHM can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period in seconds, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant of the restoring force in Newtons per meter.

4. How does Simple Harmonic Motion differ from other types of motion?

Unlike other types of motion, SHM is characterized by a restoring force that always points towards the equilibrium point and is directly proportional to the displacement from that point. This results in a predictable and repetitive motion.

5. What are some real-world examples of Simple Harmonic Motion?

Some common examples of SHM include the motion of a pendulum, the oscillation of a mass on a spring, and the vibration of a guitar string. Many other systems, such as a child on a swing or a car on a bumpy road, can also exhibit SHM under certain conditions.