Simple Harmonic Motion Question?

In summary: I'll try and explain it a little more clearly. It represents the potential energy of the object at the amplitude.
kate Co

Homework Statement

A 0.500Kg object is undergoing simple harmonic motion at the end of a horizontal spring with force constant k=300N/m. When the object is 0.012m from the equilibrium position, it is observed to have a speed of 0.300m/s. What is:

a) The total energy of the object at any point of its motion?

b) The amplitude of the motion.

c) The maximum speed attained by the object during its motion.

Could you also please explain the steps? Thank you x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey kate, weclome to PF.
We would love to help you with this, but, unfortunately, you seem to have forgotten provide your attempt at the solution!
Let's start with part A. What do you know about the total energy at anypoint in it's motion?

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Hey kate, weclome to PF.
We would love to help you with this, but, unfortunately, you seem to have forgotten provide your attempt at the solution!
Let's start with part A. What do you know about the total energy at anypoint in it's motion?

Hello, I apologize, I am very much new to this site. For the total energy, I tried using the 1/2KA^2 equation, however I got stuck as I didn't know how to find the amplitude?

What kind of energies does the block have at the observed location?
And that's no problem, that's why I was gentle :P

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
What kind of energies does the block have at the observed location?
And that's no problem, that's why I was gentle :P

Haha thank you :) Umm the block possesses Kinetic Energy?

Is that the only kind? I believe it is attached to a spring, right? What's that 1/2 k A^2 equation represent that you tried using?

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Is that the only kind? I believe it is attached to a spring, right? What's that 1/2 k A^2 equation represent that you tried using?
That represnets Total Energy which is the kinetic energy added to the potential energy?

True. I'll just throw this out there, because I'm unsure how to allude to it: 1/2 k A^2 is the total energy, but it is a special case. It's when the object has 0 kinetic energy, and it's all stored in potential. What's the velocity at the amplitude?

So while it is equal to the total energy, what does it actually represent?

Awww... don't give up on me kate.

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion Question?

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of repetitive motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point. It is characterized by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point, and the object moves with a constant frequency and amplitude.

2. What is the equation for simple harmonic motion?

The equation for simple harmonic motion is x = A*sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

3. What is the difference between simple harmonic motion and regular oscillation?

Regular oscillation refers to any type of back and forth motion, while simple harmonic motion specifically refers to a type of oscillation that follows a specific equation and is driven by a restoring force. Simple harmonic motion is also characterized by a constant frequency and amplitude, while regular oscillation may have varying frequencies and amplitudes.

4. What are some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion?

Some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion include the motion of a pendulum, the motion of a mass on a spring, and the vibrations of a guitar string. Other examples include the motion of a swing, the motion of a tuning fork, and the motion of a bouncing ball.

5. How does amplitude affect simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude of simple harmonic motion is the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium point. As the amplitude increases, the object will oscillate with a larger range of motion and will take longer to complete each cycle. The amplitude does not affect the frequency or the period of the motion, but it does affect the maximum velocity and acceleration of the object.