Simple Harmonic Motion Problem

In summary, the problem involves an object with harmonic motion and an acceleration of -2 m/s^2 at an elongation of 0.5 m. The angular frequency is found using equation (1), but finding the velocity and acceleration for t=1s requires the values of A and θ. However, with the given data, it is not possible to determine these values without making assumptions. Multiple sets of unknown parameters can be compatible with the given data, making the problem undetermined. This may be due to missing information or an assumption that is not stated in the problem. It is possible that the initial displacement of the object is intended to be 0.5 m, but this is not explicitly stated and may require knowledge of
zacc

Homework Statement

An object moving with harmonic motion has an acceleration of -2 m/s^2 when the elongation is 0.5 m. Determine the angular frequency and the velocity and acceleration for t=1s.

Homework Equations

a=-ω2x (1)
x=Acos(ωt+θ) (2)
a=-Aω2cos(ωt+θ) (3)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found ω using equation (1). My problem is from this point on. To find the velocity and acceleration for t=1s I need to find the value of A and θ. However, I cannot do so because I don't know the time for which a=-2m/s2 or x=0.5m. I believe I would have to assume that t=0 for the data given but I don't like to do that as it is not stated in the problem. So, my question is, am I missing something obvious here or is there missing information in the statement? Thanks a lot for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know more equations than that - model the motion as a mass on a spring.
You need to get the velocity etc as a function of position not time.
Hint: look at the energy.

Hi Simon: Not sure what you mean. First, problem does not state the mass. Second, the equations for kinetic and potential energy both depend on the amplitude which I don't think I can find with the given data. Incidentally, at this point in the curriculum I am not supposed to know about energy yet. In any case, I still think that the problem is not given me enough data to find a solution. Thanks for the suggestions though.

It looks undetermined, if this is the full text of the problem. Even if you assume that the values are for t=0.

When in this sort of doubt you can try to see if multiple sets of unknown parameters are compatible with the given data.

For example, you can take
A= 1m and θ = π/3
or
A=0.5 m and θ =0.

Both sets of parameters will give you the x=0.5 m and a=-2 m/s^2 at t=0.
But the values for v(1s) will be different.

zacc said:
Hi Simon: Not sure what you mean.
... about what?
First, problem does not state the mass.
... it may not matter. The mass may cancel out.

Second, the equations for kinetic and potential energy both depend on the amplitude which I don't think I can find with the given data.
You may end up with several equations in which you have several unknowns - like mass and amplitude and initial phase.
You solve them as simultaneous equations.

This is often the case when it looks like there is not enough information.

Incidentally, at this point in the curriculum I am not supposed to know about energy yet. In any case, I still think that the problem is not given me enough data to find a solution. Thanks for the suggestions though.
If that's the case them probably not enough data for your expected skill level.
It is likely, then, that the extra information is assumed in the framework that SHM has been explained to you in class.

i.e. maybe 0.5m is intended to be the initial displacement - the object is thus released from rest at x=+0.5.

(It seems odd to do SHM before conservation of energy and energy stored in a spring.)

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion Problem

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point. It occurs when the restoring force on an object is directly proportional to its displacement from the equilibrium point, and the motion follows a sinusoidal pattern.

2. What is an example of Simple Harmonic Motion?

An example of Simple Harmonic Motion is a mass attached to a spring that is pulled and released. As the mass moves back and forth, it follows a sinusoidal pattern, with the equilibrium point being the resting position of the mass when the spring is not stretched or compressed.

3. What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for Simple Harmonic Motion is x = A sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from the equilibrium point, A is the amplitude (maximum displacement), ω is the angular frequency (related to the period of the motion), and φ is the phase angle (determines the starting position of the motion).

4. How is Simple Harmonic Motion different from other types of motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is different from other types of motion because it follows a specific pattern and is caused by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement. Other types of motion, such as linear or projectile motion, do not have a restoring force and may not follow a sinusoidal pattern.

5. How is Simple Harmonic Motion used in real life?

Simple Harmonic Motion is used in many real-life applications, such as in clocks and watches, musical instruments, and even in the movement of ocean waves. It is also used in the design of suspension systems for vehicles and in earthquake-resistant buildings. Understanding Simple Harmonic Motion can help scientists and engineers predict and control the motion of objects in these applications.