Simple Harmonic Motion problem with spring mass system

In summary, the problem involves a 50g mass attached to a spring undergoing simple harmonic motion. The maximum acceleration is 15m/s and the maximum speed is 3.5m/s. To solve for the angular frequency, we use the equation ω = √k/m. To solve for the spring constant, we use the equation T = 2π*√m/k. By differentiating the displacement equation x(t) = A*cos(ωt + ∅), we can find expressions for the velocity and acceleration. By setting these expressions equal to the maximum values of velocity and acceleration, we can create two equations with two unknowns (A and ω). Solving for these unknowns
physicsuwa
Poster informed about mandatory provision of solution attempt.

Homework Statement

A 50g mass is attached to a spring and undergoes simple harmonic motion. It's maximum acceleration is 15m/s and maximum speed is 3.5m/s. Determine a)angular frequency, b) spring constant, c) amplitude.

Homework Equations

ω = √k/m
X(t) = A*cos(ωt + ∅)

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried but I seem to be getting nowhere. Would really appreciate if someone pointed me in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsuwa said:

Homework Statement

A 50g mass is attached to a spring and undergoes simple harmonic motion. It's maximum acceleration is 15m/s and maximum speed is 3.5m/s. Determine a)angular frequency, b) spring constant, c) amplitude.

Homework Equations

ω = √k/m
X(t) = A*cos(ωt + ∅)

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried but I seem to be getting nowhere. Would really appreciate if someone pointed me in the right direction.

You need to show what you tried. Try taking derivatives of X(t) to find expressions for the velocity and acceleration.

Dick said:
You need to show what you tried. Try taking derivatives of X(t) to find expressions for the velocity and acceleration.
I did that actually. I got expressions for both but I am missing amplitude so can't gain much from that. I tried to used f=-kx and substitute that into the ω = √k/m but that didn't work out either as I am missing x. Anyway. I just need a direction or that clue that will just crack this open for me. I appreciate the help.

physicsuwa said:
I did that actually. I got expressions for both but I am missing amplitude so can't gain much from that. I tried to used f=-kx and substitute that into the ω = √k/m but that didn't work out either as I am missing x. Anyway. I just need a direction or that clue that will just crack this open for me. I appreciate the help.

Just show what you got. It will turn out that you can cancel the amplitude with the correct equations for the maximum velocity and acceleration and find ω. Divide the maximum acceleration by the maximum velocity.

Last edited:
Ok. Well what i have done is in regards to the velocity and acceleration is differentiated the distance to get velocity and differentiated that to get acceleration.
v = ω*A*sin(ωt+∅) and for acceleration is a=-ω2*A*cos(ωt+∅). I am quite sure that's right but let me know if its not.

and for angular frequency which is ω=√k/m which i mentioned before and Period or T = 2π*√m/k

Differentiating the displacement x(t) is right. I would expect a minus sign for v too.

So now you have expressions and values for maximum v and maximum a. Two equations with two unknowns (A and omega). Bingo.

Oh, and: Welcome to PF, Uwa :smile: !

physicsuwa said:
Ok. Well what i have done is in regards to the velocity and acceleration is differentiated the distance to get velocity and differentiated that to get acceleration.
v = ω*A*sin(ωt+∅) and for acceleration is a=-ω2*A*cos(ωt+∅). I am quite sure that's right but let me know if its not.

and for angular frequency which is ω=√k/m which i mentioned before and Period or T = 2π*√m/k

What are the maximum values of v and a?

Dick said:
What are the maximum values of v and a?
I gave them in the original question. but perfectly happy to repeat. Max Speed = 3.5m/s and max acceleration is 15m/s^2

physicsuwa said:
I gave them in the original question. but perfectly happy to repeat. Max Speed = 3.5m/s and max acceleration is 15m/s^2

I meant what are they in terms of ##\omega## and ##A##!

Sorry. I don't understand what you mean by "in terms" of ω and A

Dick. I am sorry man. I just saw it and it was literally a Eureka moment on the train. I don't know how I could have been so stupid. Thanks for sticking with me. Appreciate all the help.

physicsuwa said:
Dick. I am sorry man. I just saw it and it was literally a Eureka moment on the train. I don't know how I could have been so stupid. Thanks for sticking with me. Appreciate all the help.

You're welcome. Always worthwhile when somebody gets it.

Likes BvU

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion problem with spring mass system

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of oscillatory motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. This results in a periodic motion with a constant amplitude and a sinusoidal pattern.

2. What is a spring mass system?

A spring mass system is a physical system consisting of a mass attached to a spring. The spring provides a restoring force in response to the displacement of the mass, allowing it to undergo SHM.

3. What is the equation for SHM in a spring mass system?

The equation for SHM in a spring mass system is F = -kx, where F is the restoring force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position.

4. How do you calculate the period of oscillation in a spring mass system?

The period of oscillation in a spring mass system can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant.

5. How does the amplitude affect the motion in a spring mass system?

The amplitude in a spring mass system refers to the maximum displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position. A larger amplitude results in a larger displacement and a longer period of oscillation, while a smaller amplitude leads to a smaller displacement and a shorter period of oscillation.