Simple Harmonic Motion problem 1

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in simple harmonic motion (SHM) and the equation x = A cos ωt is found to be appropriate for the situation. The equation is derived using the conditions of the particle starting from rest and moving in the positive x direction. The displacement at t = 0 is found to be zero and the correct answer is achieved using the equation Δx = A(1-cosωt). The conversation also touches upon the concept of displacement and its relation to the position and time of the particle in SHM.
thunderhadron
Hi friends the problem is -

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/s480x480/6405_2656465868185_1414230035_n.jpg

Attempt -

As per the problem states,

For the first second equation of SHM, (using x = A sin ωt)

a = A sin ω

From here I get, sin ω = a/ A --------------(1)

Using it for the 2 seconds, total displacement would be a + b. So,

a + b = A sin 2ω

i.e. a + b = 2A sin ω. cos ω

i.e. a + b = 2A sin ω. √1-sin2ω ----------------(2)

Solving both the equations, I am getting the result,

A = 2a2/ √(3a2 - b2 - 2ab)

But the correct answer of this problem is option (A) as per the question.

Please friends help me in solving this Problem.

Thank you all in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that the particle starts from rest. Does the equation x = Asinωt describe a particle starting from rest? (Assuming "start" means t = 0)

TSny said:
Note that the particle starts from rest. Does the equation x = Asinωt describe a particle starting from rest? (Assuming "start" means t = 0)

No, thaks. I have taken the eqn in wrong manner.

Let the equation be x = A cosωt

Solving, a = A cos ω

i.e. cosω = a/A

And (a + b) = A cos 2ω

i.e. (a + b) = A √(2cos2ω -1)

Soving both we get A = √(a2 - b2 -2ab)

Yet answer is not achieved

The distance traveled can not be x=Acos(ωt), as the distance traveled would be A at zero time, (it should be zero) and the velocity would be negative...

If x(t) is the position at time t, the velocity is v=dx/dt. The particle travels in the positive x direction, and it is velocity is zero at t=0. What should be the form of the displacement as function of t?

ehild

Creating such kind of function is really giving me problem. Please help me out.

What about Δx=A(1-cosωt)?

ehild

ehild said:

ehild

Yes this function is proper for the question. I appreciate your help. I will try to find answer with its help and get back to you soon.

ehild said:

ehild

I am currently doing SHM, I am willing to know how you arrived at that equation. :)

Pranav-Arora said:
I am currently doing SHM, I am willing to know how you arrived at that equation. :)

I think its answer.

In my notion he thought that -
We are not allowed to use x = A sin ωt or x = A cos ωt here because these functions are not giving the appropriate conditions according to question. But the function which can give correct answer for v = 0 at t = 0 is is x = A cos ωt. But it it is giving some displacement at t = 0.
so what it giving the displacement at t = 0. That is A. Subtract it from A and the displacement as well as the velocity both will be zero at t = 0.

Even I am not sure that the function is correct or not right now. I will solve it and then again will discuss about it.

ehild said:
The distance traveled can not be x=Acos(ωt), as the distance traveled would be A at zero time, (it should be zero) and the velocity would be negative...
ehild

ehild,

Please tell me that why are saying that the displacement of the particle should be zero at t = 0 ?

If I stretch a spring mass system fro it mean position and hold it for some time and then release. So there the particle would have some displacement at t = 0. Isn't it ?

ehild said:

ehild

Thank you very much ehild I go the correct answer. But Please clear the doubt which raised earlier.

The function is absolutely correct.

Pranav: The shm along x in general is x=A cos (ωt+θ). The displacement from the position at zero time is Δx=x-x0=Acos(ωt+θ)-x0.

The particle starts from rest, so v=-Aωsinθ=0. That means θ=0 or π.
It starts to move in the positive x direction, v should increase, so the acceleration at t=0 is positive: -Aω2cosθ>0, that is θ=π.
cosθ=-1, but the displacement is zero if x0=Acosθ=-A.
So you can write up the displacement as Δx=Acos(ωt+π)+A=A(1-cosωt).ehild

thunderhadron said:
ehild,

Please tell me that why are saying that the displacement of the particle should be zero at t = 0 ?

If I stretch a spring mass system fro it mean position and hold it for some time and then release. So there the particle would have some displacement at t = 0. Isn't it ?

Displacement is the change of position Δx=x(t)-x(0). Of course, it is zero at t=0. It is not meant as the change of length of a spring here.

We start measuring time when the particle has zero velocity. Assuming a general SHM x(t)=Acos(ωt+θ), we can get theta from the conditions given, that the initial velocity is zero, and the particle has positive velocity after. Read my previous post.

ehild

ehild said:
Pranav: The shm along x in general is x=A cos (ωt+θ). The displacement from the position at zero time is Δx=x-x0=Acos(ωt+θ)-x0.

It starts to move in the positive x direction, v should increase, so the acceleration at t=0 is positive: -Aω2cosθ>0, that is θ=π.
So you can write up the displacement as Δx=Acos(ωt+π)+A=A(1-cosωt).

ehild

Thanks ehild! :smile:

ehild said:
The shm along x in general is x=A cos (ωt+θ). The displacement from the position at zero time is Δx=x-x0=Acos(ωt+θ)-x0.

So you can write up the displacement as Δx=Acos(ωt+π)+A=A(1-cosωt).

ehild

Very nice explanation.

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion problem 1

What is Simple Harmonic Motion problem 1?

Simple Harmonic Motion problem 1 is a type of physics problem that involves the study of oscillatory motion, where an object moves back and forth in a regular pattern with a constant amplitude and period.

What are the key components of Simple Harmonic Motion problem 1?

The key components of Simple Harmonic Motion problem 1 include the object's mass, spring constant, amplitude, and initial displacement.

How is Simple Harmonic Motion problem 1 solved?

Simple Harmonic Motion problem 1 is solved using the equation x(t) = A cos(ωt + φ), where x(t) is the displacement at time t, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle. The values of these variables can be determined using the given parameters of the problem.

What are some real-world examples of Simple Harmonic Motion problem 1?

Some real-world examples of Simple Harmonic Motion problem 1 include the motion of a pendulum, the vibration of a guitar string, and the movement of a mass on a spring.

How is Simple Harmonic Motion problem 1 related to other physics concepts?

Simple Harmonic Motion problem 1 is related to other physics concepts such as energy, force, and equilibrium. The potential and kinetic energy of the oscillating object, as well as the forces acting on it, can be analyzed using principles of conservation of energy and Newton's laws of motion. It is also related to equilibrium, as the object reaches a stable position at its equilibrium point during each oscillation.