Simple Harmonic Motion (Person gets into car)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the natural frequency of oscillation for a car with a person inside, based on the car's mass and the amount it sinks on its springs. The calculated frequency is 3.78 Hz. The conversation also mentions a potential misunderstanding about the meaning of "vertical oscillation."
ThereIam
An 85.0 kg person steps into a car of mass 2400 kg, causing it to sink 2.35 cm on its springs. If started into vertical oscillation, and assuming no damping, at what frequency will the car and passenger vibrate on these springs?

w= Sqrt (k/m), mg=kx, perhaps?

The way I treated the problem is with the assumption that the "If started into vertical oscillation" implied that the person/car began to oscillate from the new equilibrium position 2.35 cm below the old one. I then got the spring constant k by saying that 85*9.81 = k0.0235. Then I said the natural frequency of oscillation would be w= Sqrt(k/m) plugging in k = 35483 N/m and m = 2485 kg. Then answer I then got was 3.78 Hz. A problem I just did after this one suggests to me my thinking was wrong. Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ThereTam, welcome to PF.
The answer you got is ω, not the frequency.
What is relation between ω and frequency?

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion (Person gets into car)

What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point. The motion is described by a sinusoidal curve and is characterized by a constant amplitude and frequency.

How does a person getting into a car exhibit Simple Harmonic Motion?

When a person gets into a car, the car's suspension system compresses and then springs back to its original position. This motion can be described as Simple Harmonic Motion because it follows a sinusoidal curve and has a constant amplitude and frequency.

What factors affect the period of Simple Harmonic Motion in a car?

The period of Simple Harmonic Motion in a car is affected by the mass of the car, the stiffness of the suspension system, and the amount of damping present in the system. A heavier car, stiffer suspension, and higher damping will result in a shorter period.

Can Simple Harmonic Motion in a car be harmful?

In most cases, Simple Harmonic Motion in a car is not harmful. However, if the frequency of the motion matches the natural frequency of the car's suspension system, it can result in resonance, which can lead to excessive vibrations and potential damage to the car.

How can Simple Harmonic Motion in a car be reduced?

Simple Harmonic Motion in a car can be reduced by adjusting the suspension system to change its natural frequency. This can be done by changing the stiffness or damping of the system. Additionally, using shock absorbers can help dissipate the energy and reduce the amplitude of the motion.