Simple Harmonic Motion - Period (T)

In summary, the conversation discusses the period of a pendulum and how it is affected by changes in mass and length. The equation for the period of a pendulum is T = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{L}{g}}, where L is the length of the pendulum and g is the acceleration due to gravity. It is also mentioned that this equation is different from the one for a spring, T = 2(pi) x rad (k/m). It is clarified that the length of the pendulum does indeed affect the period, and that the new period when both mass and length are doubled is T/rad(2).
ahero4eternity
[SOLVED] Simple Harmonic Motion - Period (T)

1. A pendulum oscillates with a period T.

If both the mass of the bob and the length of the pendulum are doubled, the new period will be _____.

2. T = 2(pi) x rad (k/m)

3. Since L is not a part of the equation, it shouldn't affect the period - right? If that's true, then shouldn't the new period be: T/rad (2) ?

Sorry, I don't know how to insert symbols (i.e. pi and rad).

Physics news on Phys.org
That equation is for the time period of a spring. The equation for a pendulum is:

[tex] T = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{L}{g}} [/tex]

Thanks. I just figured that out after 5 mins of Googling. My professor hasn't gone over that yet. I guess that is what Friday's lecture is about...since this HW isn't due unti Sunday. Thanks again!

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion - Period (T)

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point with a constant amplitude and a constant period. This type of motion can be seen in various natural phenomena such as the motion of a pendulum, a mass on a spring, or the vibrations of a guitar string.

What is the period in simple harmonic motion?

The period in simple harmonic motion refers to the time it takes for one complete cycle of the oscillation. It is measured in seconds and is represented by the symbol T. The period is determined by the mass of the object, the force acting on it, and the stiffness of the spring (if applicable).

How is the period related to the frequency in simple harmonic motion?

The period and frequency in simple harmonic motion are inversely related. This means that as the period increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa. The relationship between the two can be mathematically expressed as T = 1/f, where T is the period and f is the frequency.

What factors affect the period in simple harmonic motion?

The period in simple harmonic motion is affected by the mass of the object, the force acting on it, and the stiffness of the spring (if applicable). Generally, a heavier mass, stronger force, and stiffer spring will result in a longer period.

How is simple harmonic motion different from other types of motion?

Simple harmonic motion is different from other types of motion in that it is a periodic motion with a constant amplitude and a constant period. Other types of motion, such as linear, circular, or random motion, do not have these characteristics. Additionally, simple harmonic motion is caused by a restoring force that tries to bring the object back to its equilibrium point, while other types of motion may be caused by different forces.